*·˚ଘ his oddity explained

[my dumbass completely forgot to explain the soulmate au i'm using *face palms*]

❁ IZUKU'S POV ❁

"izuku?" a male's voice stunned me and i think i let out a small gasp. i turned to the source of the voice to find kai's.. uh- friend? "oh- hi!- sorry, um, you're hari, right?" yeah that must be his name since that's what kai refers to him as. "that's right, i'm hari kurono, mind if i call you 'izuku'? you can just call me 'hari' too" he introduced himself with a smile and stretched out his hand for me to shake. "sure, no problem, nice to meet you, hari" i shook his hand and exchanged a smile. 

"hari-nii, are you there? i'm hungry, can you make me breakfast?" i heard a little girl's voice behind me so i turned around to the kitchen door. in the middle of the doorway was the little girl i saw before. oh she's even cuter up close! 

"ah of course, right away, eri" hari scratched the back of his neck and talked in a apologetic tone. "who's this?" the little girl's eyes landed on me, she tilted her head, making her hair fall into one side. "hello there, i'm izuku midoriya. what's your name, sweetie?" i spoke in the most gentle voice i can manage. "i'm eri" she responded shyly. "aren't you just darling" i patted her head which she seemed to enjoy. 

"why are you all crowded in front of the kitchen..?" this time, a more sleepy, male voice rang in my ear. i recognize that voice, i turned, again, and saw kai's figure standing there, putting his gloves on. he's already dressed but i don't think he's mentally ready for the day yet. 

"oh, eri, you're awake. and so are you, angel" he commented while rubbing his right eye with his index finger. eri ran and hugged kai's leg, in return he stroked her hair, untying any knots he could come across. "have you all had breakfast?" kai asked still half occupied with his right eye. is there something wrong with his right eye? does he have an irritation or something?

"nope, not yet, just about to make some" hari chimed in and without any further chitchat we entered the kitchen and sat down, except hari because he said he'll be making breakfast. "daddy, your right eye is a different color now" eri pointed out and gave kai a little compact mirror from her pocket. "daddy?" i repeated what eri called kai, but in a questioning tone. "oh, she just calls me that, don't really know why" kai informed while analyzing his right eye. 

"so are you, or are you not, her dad?" i'm still very much lost. kai having a child? not something i would think of. "wh- i'm not her dad. she's the granddaughter of the former boss. remember 'sensei'? yeah, she was his granddaughter. but.. sensei died [in this AU], and, uh, things happened to her parents so now i take care of her. i never really formally adopted her, i didn't give a fuck about adoption papers so i just took her in" kai explained and as he finished, eri gave me a big warm smile. my mouth formed an 'oooh' shape and once again, i patted eri's head. 

"can i sit on your lap?" eri requested while making grabby hands. obviously, i have no power to deny since she's too adorbs so, i granted her wish, lifted her up, and sat her on my lap. she giggled and hugged one of my arms, now her attention went back to kai. "is everything okay, kai?" i was concerned because he'd been inspecting his right eye for a long time. 

"izu-chan, do you know what this shade of pink means? i never really cared for the whole soulmate thing so i have little to no knowledge about it" kai quizzed me at the same time he removed the compact mirror from blocking my view so i could see what he's talking about. 

"hmm, that shade is called 'watermelon', if i'm not wrong, it means you've found your soulmate! congrats, kai!" i exclaimed happily even though i have this weird bitter feeling, deep in my heart, but i decided to just ignore it. "what? but, don't you have to have physical contact with your soulmate first before your right eye changes it's color?? as i said, i don't know shit about this whole thing s-" he stopped half-way through what he's trying to say and just- stared at me- 

soon i could feel eri joined in on staring at me too. "woahhh! your right eye is changing colors too!" eri squealed and i, myself, am at a disbelief. i think kai read my mind because he handed me the compact mirror without saying a word. 

❁ NO ONE'S POV ❁

izuku midoriya's right eye. it's truly something out of the ordinary. why don't we start with the soulmate lore. everyone has a soulmate, and your right eye serves as an indicator regarding stages of finding your soulmate. at the age of 9, your right eye will turn into a very light shade of pink, a.k.a., the blush shade, it symbolizes that you've been assigned to someone as their soulmate. lets see what each shade of pink means.

blush shade: you do have a soulmate, but they're still out there, keep looking pal. 

watermelon shade: lookie here, you've found your soulmate! but have you accepted it? have THEY accepted it?

magenta shade: congrats buddy, you both accepted the fact that you two are soulmates, and you've also accepted each other's feelings.

peach shade: they've accepted, have you?

strawberry shade: you've accepted, have they? 

rosewood shade: sorry bro, you basically got rejected because your soulmate does not accept it, but you have though, what a pity. 

your right eye returns to the same color as your left eye/your birth eye color: both you and your soulmate don't and won't accept, at least y'all agreed, no hearts have been broken here. 

your right eye turns white, but the outline of your iris and pupil shows up: your soulmate is dead, r.i.p., f in the chat. 

your right eye will turn these shades depending on which stage you're currently in. you'll know if a person is your soulmate via physical contact. for example, if you shake hands with the person who's supposed to be your soulmate, your right eye will turn into the shade indicating that you've found your soulmate (watermelon shade). 

the time which will take for your right eye to change it's color may vary for everyone. some might have to wait a couple minutes before their right eye changes colors, some have to wait for hours, some even have to wait for days. because of the different time frames for people, to clear up any confusion, after your right eye's color changed, for 5 seconds you'll see a vision of how your soulmate looks like. 

for izuku midoriya, it's nothing like that. when he turned 9, instead of turning into the blush shade, his entire eye turns black. not only that, but black vein-like things appeared, rooting from the skin nearest to his right eye, and branching out to other parts of his face (right cheek, forehead, over the bridge of his nose, right temple). this only adds to bakugo's long list of reasons to bully izuku. 

this condition is very very very very extremely rare. for the people who have never met or seen izuku, this condition is completely unheard of. 'rare' as in this had only happened 2 times in the past since humans first came to be. according to one source, the first one happened in the 1500s while the second one happened in the 1800s. the person who bared this phenomenon in the 1500s didn't live very long so there were no records of information about their case. as for the person in the 1800s, they only lived slightly longer than the first person, so again, there wasn't a single trace of information. 

some people do view this as something unique, remarkable or extraordinary. but the percentage of those people were tremendously little. most people find this condition to be disturbing, peculiar, weird, and even disgusting. 

well, what do you expect from humanity? 

people assume that whoever carries this rarity, is not destined to have a soulmate and will be forever alone. people speculate this based on the fact that the two previous holders of this irregularity, never found their soulmates. 

'well they didn't live very long either, no one knows when you'll find your soulmate, nor on what date. so who are they to judge?' was what izuku thought whenever he heard people say that he will never in a billion years find his soulmate, nor would have one in the first place. he's used to those comments from people but he's still secretly defensive. 

but right then, with kai, eri, and hari.. his iris changed it's color, it went from black, to.. gold. the white areas of his right eye also changed colors, black slowly fading away, being replaced with.. the watermelon shade. 

what was happening with him?

[great balls of fire i finally explained everything. i hope it wasn't too confusing and i really really hope you're enjoying the story <3]