Alex

Getting on the plane for another road trip is just the price I pay for getting to do a job I love.

I get on our team plane and grab my seat in the exit row. It has the most legroom and the flight attendants have stopped doing that whole spiel about the emergency row since I sit here all the time.

I lean my head against the headrest and think about my first day at Allen House. I didn't really know what to expect going into it, but I had a great time and really enjoyed getting to know the kids there and the staff.

The big surprise of the day was getting to know Carrie Connors. She surprised me at how funny and light hearted she was. Her boss, Dave Henderson had kind of warned me she could have a stick up her ass, but I saw none of that.

After I called her out for checking out my picture outside I figured she would shut down, but no way. She didn't miss a beat with me. She also didn't fawn all over me like most women do. She had no clue I was Captain of the Rangers and I liked that. Even when she found out her persona still didn't change around me.

I can't say the same about the house manager Amber. When she looked at me I knew she saw dollar signs and that made her so unattractive.

I wished it was just Carrie and I when I was dropping her off from work. I really wanted to continue our conversation. She is super sweet and kind. She is just the type of person you want to be around.

I saw a different side of her when Amber said what she did about her sister and compared her to Elodie. I saw her vulnerable side and all I wanted to do was comfort her.

I literally had to make a deal with the devil to get Carrie's number and now I am stuck having dinner with Amber when I get back.

"Hey man. What are you thinking about over there?" my best friend,Trevor Thompson asks me.

"Just thinking about yesterday. It was my first day volunteering at Allen House."

"How did that go?"

"Really good. The kids are great there. I am hoping to pitch to Player Relations renting a box at the Gardens and the kids can come out and watch. Maybe get them on the ice for a skate with the team."

"That sounds like a great idea. I am down for that. Count me in, man."

"Thanks, much appreciated."

Just as I finish speaking my phone goes off with a text message. Thinking it might be Carrie, I unlock my phone and see it's Amber.

Amber: Looking forward to dinner when you get back and maybe a little dessert at my place.😉💋

I just stare at the screen and I don't even know how to respond to it.

"Hot date when we get back?" Trevor asks, wiggling his eyebrows.

"God no. I don't even want to go."

"What, she not hot?"

"She is good looking, but I just agreed to this date to get her boss's phone number."

"Umm okay?"

"Her boss is this girl named Carrie and she is a social worker at the group home. We kind of hit it off, in a friends kind of way," I say scratching the back of my neck.

"Just friends?"

"Just friends. She had no clue who I was and even when she found out it was still no big deal. She actually likes football. Big Patriots fan."

"Isn't that the team your cousin's husband is the quarterback for?"

"It is, and that's her favorite player," I say with a chuckle.