𝟬𝟬𝟴.

AS THE WEDDING GUESTS began filtering into the park behind First Methodist Church for the reception, more gasps of astonishment could be heard. In stark contrast to the church, the wedding reception looked like an atomic explosion of flowers. Thirty-foot-tall topiaries in gigantic pots and colossal spirals of pink roses encircled the field, where dozens of whimsical gazebos festooned in striped pastel taffeta had been built. 

In the center, an immense teapot spouted a waterfall of bubbly champagne into a cup the size of a small swimming pool, and a full-string ensemble performed on what appeared to be a giant revolving Wedgwood plate. The scale of everything made the guests feel as if they had been transported to a tea party for giants.

"It's giving me Marie Antoinette vibes," Theodore commented

"I feel more of a Mad Hatter's tea party," Ramona remarked, "Like if the mad hatter's tea party and Marie Antoinette's parties had a lovechild,"

"Now what do you suppose they're going to do with all these flowers once the reception ends?" Theo wondered.

"Who knows," Ramona shrugged, she looked around at the guests parading the floral wonderland in their festive hats, their jewels glinting in the afternoon sun, and shook her head in disbelief, "Teddy, how much did you say the Lees' and the Khoos' spent?" 

"Forty million,"

"Forty million—I just don't see where all the money went."

"Well I've been keeping a tally, and I'm only up to five or six million so far. God help us, I think the motherlode is being spent on tonight's ball," Theodore replied

"I can't imagine how they're going to top this," Ramona said

"What did you think of the wedding ceremony?" Theodore asked

"Wedding? I could have sworn it was a coronation," Ramona retorted. "I thought it was very--- natural,"

Theodore snorted, "I agree, exotic even," he looked around in wonder, "I can't believe this whole place. It looks insane,"

Ramona nodded, "Tacky, even. But it's only once you can get married,"

"Or one-hundred times," Theo remarked

"Hey! Are you implying that Minty and Collie aren't going to be married for long?" Ramona challenged. 

"I didn't imply anything. I was simply arguing that you can get married more than once," Theodore huffed. 

"Do you want to get out of here?" Ramona suggested her cheeks peony.

"In which way are you insinuating?" Theodore asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"Oh, you know what I mean. I can't stand being here anymore. Just follow me,"

The farther they walked from the great lawn, the more the park began to change. The strains of the string ensemble gave way to birds with strangely hypnotic chirps as they entered a pathway shaded by the sprawling branches of two-hundred-year-old Angsana trees.  "I love this place. it's like we're on a whole other island," Theodore said, savoring the cool relief underneath the lush canopy.

"I love it here too. We're in the oldest part of the park, an area that's sacred to the Malays," Ramona explained quietly. "You know, back when the island was called Singapura and was part of the ancient Majapahit empire, this is where they built a shrine to the last king."

" 'The Last King of Singapura.' Sounds like a movie. Why don't you write the screenplay?" Theodore remarked.

"Ha! I think it'll draw an audience of about four," Ramona replied.