𝟬𝟭𝟬.

EVERYONE at the table rose in deference to the high-ranking minister. Gasping in delight, Rachel got up from her seat to greet her father. Bao Gaoliang looked just as surprised to see Rachel. He hugged her warmly, much to Carlton's astonishment. He had never seen his father display physical affection for anyone like that before, not even his mother. "I am so sorry to interrupt your dinner. I was in Beijing a few hours ago, and I suddenly got strong-armed by these two conspirators and put onto a plane," Gaoliang said, gesturing toward Carlton and Colette.

"No interruption at all. It is an honor to have you here with us, Minister Bao," Jack Bing said, getting up and patting Gaoliang on the back. "This calls for a celebration. Where's Baptiste? We need some very special Tiger Bone wine."

"Yes, tiger power for everyone!" Richie cheered, getting up to shake Bao Gaoliang's hand. "That was a very insightful speech you gave last week about the dangers of monetary inflation, Minister Bao."

  "Oh, were you there?" Bao Gaoliang asked.

  "No, I watched it on CCTV. I'm a politics junkie."

  "Well, I'm glad some of you younger generation pay attention to this country's affairs," Gaoliang said, casting a sideways glance at Carlton.

  "I only pay attention when I feel like our leaders are being on the level with me. I don't watch any of the speeches that are all hype or rhetoric." Carlton had to resist rolling his eyes.

He then turned to Ramona and Theodore, casting a strange eye on them, "I'm sorry, i didn't seem to catch your name," he told them extending his hand out.

"Oh, I'm Ramona Young, a pleasure to meet you, Minister Bao," Ramona responded as she and the minister shook hands.

He then turned to Theodore and the two men shook hands, "I'm Dr. Theodore Ling, sir. A pleasure to meet you, Minister Bao," Theodore told him as the minister nodded at him.

  A place setting next to Rachel was swiftly arranged for Gaoliang, and Colette graciously gestured, "Minister Bao, please do sit down."

  "I'm sorry to see that Mrs. Bao couldn't join us. Is she still held up in Hong Kong?" Rachel asked.

  "Yes, unfortunately. But she sends her regards," Gaoliang said quickly.

  Carlton let out a snort. Everyone at the table looked at him momentarily. Carlton looked like he was about to say something, but then he changed his mind and chugged a full glass of Montrachet in several quick gulps.

  As the meal resumed, Rachel filled her father in on everything they had done since arriving in Shanghai, while Nick chatted amiably with the Bings and Richie Yang, and Theodore and Ramona were just engaged in a small conversation with one another.

Ramona was relieved that Bao Gaoliang had finally shown up, and she could see how excited Rachel was to spend time with him. But she couldn't help noticing that a few seats away, Carlton sat stone-faced while Colette seemed to be getting more and more agitated as each course was served. What's the deal? Both of them look like they could spontaneously combust at any moment.

  Suddenly, while everyone was in the midst of savoring the Lanzhou-style hand-pulled noodles with lobster and abalone, Colette put down her chopsticks and whispered into her father's ear. The two of them abruptly got up. "Please excuse us for a moment," Colette said with a forced smile.

  Colette marched her father downstairs and as soon as they were out of earshot, she began to scream: "What is the point of hiring the best butler in England to teach you proper manners, when you just won't learn? You were slurping your noodles so loudly, it made my teeth ache! And the way you spit out your bones onto the table, my God, Christian Liaigre would have a heart attack if he knew what was happening on his beautiful table! And how many times have I told you not to kick your shoes off when we are dining with company? Don't lie to me—I could smell something from a mile away, and I know it wasn't the snow-pea shoots simmered in stinky tofu!"

  Jack laughed at his daughter's tantrum. "I am the son of a fisherman. I keep telling you, you cannot change me. But don't worry, it doesn't matter how good my manners are. As long as this remains fat," he patted the wallet in his back pocket, "even in China's best dining rooms, no one will care if I spit on the table."

  "Rubbish! Everyone can change! Look how well Mother is doing—she hardly chews with her mouth open anymore, and she wields her chopsticks like an elegant Shanghainese lady."

  Colette's father shook his head in amusement, "You know, I am surprised how you had found a friend like Ramona Young,"

"What are you talking about? She's just some Singaporean girl, when I first met her all she was wearing was some no-name blue summer dress like she had no money,"

"Don't make assumptions about Ramona Young, Colette," Jack Bing said sharply, "She is one of the richest women in the world, and perhaps, the richest woman in Asia. Maybe you should learn a thing or two from your new friend. How to not spend so much money when you hardly make any!" Her father sighed, "Hiyah, I really pity that idiot Richie Yang. He doesn't know what he's getting himself into."

  "What on earth do you mean?"

  "Don't try to deceive your own father. Your plan of dangling Carlton Bao in front of Richie has paid off like a charm. I have a feeling he's planning to propose to you any day now."

  "That's ridiculous," Colette said, still fuming at her father's negligent etiquette.

  "Really? Then why did he beg his way onto my plane to ask my permission for your hand in marriage?"

  "How silly of him. I hope you told him exactly where he could stuff that proposal."

  "Actually, I gave Richie my blessing. I think it will be a brilliant match, not to mention that I will finally be able to stop fighting over companies with his father." Jack grinned, flashing the crooked incisor that Colette was constantly begging him to get fixed.

  "Don't start getting any fantasies of mergers, Dad, because I have no interest in marrying Richie Yang."

  Jack laughed, and then he said in a low whisper, "Silly girl, I never asked if you were interested in marrying him. Your interest is not my concern."

  Then he turned and headed back upstairs.

AFTER THE HECTIC DINNER, Ramona and Theodore had bid everyone goodbye and they were driving on their way home. "So, how about that Colette Bing?" he asked

"She's so obsessive," Ramona noted, "I mean, she had snapped at her mum over a seating choice,"

Theodore snorted, "I was talking to Richie Yang, and there is something weird going on with him and Carlton. I mean he kept on making jabs at Carlton,"

Ramona hummed in agreement, resting a hand on Theodore's thigh as they drove back to their apartment complex. Nirvana played through the car speakers, as they sat in comfortable silence.

A little after nine, they both arrived home. After changing into their pajamas, Ramona nestled her head on his chest, slowly stroking his right leg. She brushed the tips of her fingers in one continuous line, tracing his calf, up the curve of his knee, and along the front of his thigh.

She felt him get hard against the nape of her neck, and she kept stroking his leg in a gentle continuous rhythm, moving closer and closer toward the soft part of his inner thigh. When Theo could stand it no longer, he scooped her up in one abrupt motion and carried her into the bedroom.