𝟬𝟭𝟬.

AT NINE O'CLOCK SHARP, the wedding-ball attendees were led into the vast banquet hall set amid the indigenous tropical rain forest. Along the south walls were archways that led to grotto-like alcoves, while the curved north wall consisted of a curtain of glass that overlooked a man-made lagoon and a dramatic waterfall tumbling over moss-covered boulders. All along the edge of the lagoon, a profusion of exotic flowers and plants seemed to glow in iridescent colors. "Did they build all this just for the wedding banquet?" Ramona asked in astonishment.

"I have no idea. This is crazy," Theodore agreed as Amanda joined them

 "The Lees always have business on their mind—this building is the centerpiece of a new luxury eco-resort they are developing—Pulau Samsara, they're calling it,"

"What, are they going to try to sell us condos after the wedding cake is served?" Ramona sniggered. Minutes after Ramona and Theodore were seated, the dinner began with military precision as a battalion of waiters marched in with glowing LED-domed trays. 

The engraved menu card indicated that it was Giant South Sea Scallop Consommé with Washington State Ginseng Vapors and Black Mushrooms, but Ramona wasn't quite sure what to do when the white-gloved waiter at her side lifted the shimmering dome off her plate. In front of her was a bowl, but encasing the surface of the bowl was what appeared to be a pinkish, membrane-like bubble that wobbled on its own accord. "What are we supposed to do with this blob thing?" Ramona asked.

"Just pop it!" Theodore encouraged.

Ramona looked at it, giggling. "It looks scary! I feel like some alien creature is going to burst out of it."

"Here, stand back, I'll pop it for you," Nick, who was on her right, offered.

"No, no, I'll do it," Ramona said bravely. 

She gave it a jab with her fork, and the bubble immediately collapsed on itself, releasing a burst of pungent medicinal steam into the air.

 As the filmy pink membrane met the surface of the soup, it created a beautiful marbleized pattern across its surface. Ramona could now see an enormous poached scallop in the middle of the bowl and thinly julienned black mushrooms artfully positioned like sun rays around it.

"Hmm. I gather the bubble was the ginseng," Theodore said. "It's always guesswork when you're eating molecular cuisine, even more so when it's Pacific Rim fusion molecular cuisine. What is the name of this culinary genius again?"

"I can't remember exactly, but supposedly he trained with Chan Yan-tak before going to do an apprenticeship at El Bulli," Nick replied. "It's really quite yummy, but I can see from our mum's expression that she's having a fit."

Four tables away, Eleanor was turning as red as the coral-beaded bolero jacket she wore over her intricately pleated Fortuny silk gown, but it had nothing to do with the soup. She had been in shock ever since she spotted Rachel on the promenade wearing the Grand Duchess Zoya sapphire necklace. Could her disapproving mother-in-law really have loaned the necklace to Rachel? Or, even more unthinkable, had she given Rachel the necklace? What sort of black magic was Rachel doing at Tyersall Park?

After the sixth and final course had been served, the lights in the great hall dimmed, and a voice boomed out, "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our very special guest!" The live band struck up a tune, and the wall of glass behind the stage began to part. 

The water in the lagoon started to glow an iridescent aquamarine before draining away completely, and from the middle of the lagoon, the figure of a woman rose up as if by magic. someone screamed, "Oh my goodness, it's Tracy Kuan!" The usually grim-faced vice premier of China jumped out of his seat and began clapping like a man possessed, as everyone in the hall cheered and rose to a standing ovation. "Who's that?" Rachel asked, amazed by the huge surge of excitement.