𝟬𝟭𝟮.

THE SECURITY GUARD at the Hongqiao International Airport Private Aviation entrance handed Ramona and Theo their passports and waved them through. As Ramona's Jaguar approached an alpine white Boeing 747 jumbo jet with one undulating scarlet stripe painted along its fuselage like a giant calligraphy brushstroke. "You've got to be kidding me!" Ramona groaned, staring at the humongous plane glistening under floodlights.

Theodore chuckled. "Ramona, I don't know how you can still be surprised. Bigger is always better for the Bings, isn't it?" Theodore winked as he pulled up to the red carpet that extended from the airplane's staircase onto the tarmac.

 The ground crew immediately bustled around the car, opening doors and removing the luggage while Theo handed off their car to the valet. Along the length of the carpet, fifteen flight crew members stood at attention like troops ready for inspection, attired in the same crisp black James Perse uniforms seen at Colette's house.

"Romi! Theo!" Carlton called as the couple made their way over to him, Rachel, and Nick. 

"I feel like Michelle Obama about to board Air Force One," Ramona whispered to Theodore as they walked along the plush red carpet.

Overhearing them, Carlton quipped, "Wait till you get on board. This plane makes Air Force One look like a sardine tin."

At the top of the steps, they entered the cabin door and were immediately greeted by the chief purser. "Welcome aboard, Mr. Bao. Good to see you again."

"Hi, Fernando."

Next to Fernando stood a flight attendant who bowed deeply before asking the two couples. "Your shoe sizes, please?"

"Er...I'm a size six, and he's a ten and a half," Rachel said, wondering why she asked.

"I'm a size five and he's a size eleven," Ramona replied

Moments later, the flight attendant returned with velvet drawstring bags for everyone. "A gift from Mrs. Bing," she announced. Ramona looked inside and saw a pair of Bottega Veneta leather slippers.

"Colette's mum prefers for everyone to wear these on board," Carlton explained, slipping off his loafers. "Come, let me give you a quick tour before everyone else gets here." He led them down a hallway paneled in a lacquered gray maple wood and tried to open a set of double doors.

"Bugger, I guess it's locked. This is a staircase that leads downstairs to the clinic. There's an operating theater with a full life-support system, and there's always a doctor on board."

"Let me guess...Mrs. Bing's idea?" Theo asked.

"Yes, she's always worrying that she'll fall ill on the plane on the way to visit her doctors. Let's try going this way."

They followed Carlton along another passage and down a wider set of steps. "Here's the main cabin, or the Grand Lounge, as they call it."

Ramona faltered. She knew, on an intellectual level, that she was still on an airplane. But what she was seeing was something that couldn't possibly exist on a plane. 

They were standing in a vast, semicircular room filled with sleek Balinese teak sofas, consoles that looked like antique silver chests, and silk-covered lamps in the shape of lotus blossoms. But the focal point of the space was a three-story rock wall carved with ancient-looking Buddhas.

 Growing out of the wall were live ferns and other exotic botanicals, while off to the side, a spiral glass-and-stone staircase wound its way to an upper floor.

"Mrs. Bing wanted the Grand Lounge to feel like an ancient Javanese temple," Carlton explained.

"It's just like Borobudur," Nick said in a hushed whisper as he touched the moss-covered stone.

"You got it. I think she fell in love with some resort there many years ago and wanted it replicated on her plane. The wall is an actual temple façade from an archaeological dig. They had to smuggle it out of Indonesia, from what I'm told."

"I guess you can do whatever you want with a 747 if you don't need to fit four hundred seats," Theodore surmised.

"Yeah, and having five thousand square feet of space to play with also helps. These sofas, by the way, are upholstered in Russian reindeer leather. And up those stairs, there's a karaoke lounge, a screening room, a gym, and ten bedroom suites."

"Sweet Jesus! Nick, come over here right now!" Rachel said in a panicked voice from across the room.

Nick rushed over to her. "Are you okay?"

Rachel stood dead in her tracks at the edge of what appeared to be a lap pool, shaking her head in disbelief. "Look—it's a koi pond."

"God, you scared me. For a moment I thought something was wrong," Nick said.

"You don't think anything's wrong? THERE'S A FRIGGING KOI POND IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS PLANE, NICK!"

the others came over, highly amused by Rachel's reaction. "These are some of Mrs. Bing's prized koi. You see that fat white one over there with the big red spot right in the middle of its back? Some Japanese tosser who was a guest on the plane once offered the Bings $250,000 for that fish. It reminded him of the Japanese flag,"

"I do wonder if these poor koi ever get jet-lagged." Ramona mused.

Just then, Colette entered the main cabin swathed in a hooded angora poncho, trailed by a large entourage that included her mother, grandmother, Roxanne, a few of the girls from earlier, and a retinue of maids. 

"I can't believe those idiots let you on board! I wanted to give Nick, Rachel, Theodore, and Ramona the tour myself," Colette said with a little pout.

"We haven't seen anything except this room," Ramona said politely.

"Okay, great! Knowing your love of bathrooms, I wanted to show you the hydromassage room myself." Lowering her voice, she said to Her and Rachel, "I wanted to warn you ahead of time. My parents bought and designed this plane while I was away at Regent's. So I can't be held responsible for the decor."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Colette. This plane is unfathomably gorgeous," Ramona assured her.

Colette looked genuinely relieved. "Here, come meet my grandmother. Nainai, these are my friends, Rachel and Nick from America, and Ramona and Theodore from Singapore," Colette announced to a plump septuagenarian with a standard-issue Chinese-grandma perm.

The old lady smiled tiredly at them, baring a couple of gold teeth. She looked as if she had been hastily yanked out of bed, shoved into a St. John knit jacket two sizes too small, and hustled aboard the plane.

Colette surveyed the cabin, looking rather displeased. She glanced at Roxanne and said, "Send for Fernando right now."

The man arrived momentarily, and Colette gave him a lethal glare. "Where's the tea? There should always be cups of steaming-hot Bird's Tongue Longjing tea waiting for my mother and grandmother the minute they get on board! And little plates of hua mei to suck on during takeoff! Hasn't anyone read the Aircraft Standards Manual?"

"I apologize, Miss Bing. We only landed a little over an hour ago and haven't had time to turn around the plane properly."

"What do you mean you just landed? Wasn't Trenta here all weekend?"

"No, Miss Bing. Your father just returned from Los Angeles."

"Really? I had no idea. Well, get us the tea and tell the captain we're ready for takeoff."

"Right away, Miss Bing," the chief purser said, turning to leave.

"One more thing..."

"Yes, Miss Bing?"

"There is something in the air tonight, Fernando."

"We'll readjust the cabin climate right away."

"No, that's not it. Can you smell the air, Fernando? It's nothing like Frédéric Malle's Jurassic Flower. Who changed the cabin scent without my permission?"

"I'm not sure, Miss Bing."

After Fernando left the room, Colette turned to Roxanne again. "When we get to Paris, I want new copies of the Aircraft Standards Manual printed and bound for every member of the flight crew. I want them to memorize every page, and then we're going to give them a pop quiz during the return flight."