Chapter 5: Mr. Hoodie

Sunshine's POV

Oh my freaking God!

Oh my freaking God!

The mere second he looks up I was stunned by his eyes! It's bluish-Grey and it was so bright.

I can not see the rest of his face because of his hoodie but my God those eyes can disarm anyone.

Outside, I am confident but deep inside when I was talking to him. Offering flowers, chocolate like a creep, I am freaking out.

I can't read and write properly but I am not that dumb. His shoulder was so broad and he's still taller than me even if he is slouching.

Once I gave the flowers and chocolates to him. I bat out of there. The whole time that I was walking back to the shelter I am scolding myself.

After the shameless act that I did. I freaking forgot to ask his name and I didn't even ask if he can be my friend.

That guy must be so confused right now.

Oh well, it's already done. There's nothing I can do. I decided that tomorrow if he's there, I'll apologize.

I arrived at the shelter earlier than I used to so I decided to help Miss Lorna to clean the shelter.

I hide my bag and started to sweep the floor. Together with the other volunteers, we mop the floor then once the floor was dry.  We laid out 150 mattress.

The shelter is 3 floors. When I came here when I was 14, I thought that they will report me but they don't. Miss Lorna understood my situation and let me stay here. There are times that I can't stay at the shelter because there are more people needed the space than I am.

There are so many homeless people here in New York and the government can't take care of everyone. Through the kind donations of private citizens,organizations and charities some of the shelters around the city are taken care off.

This shelter was particularly funded by an influential family. I never saw them but they regularly change and upgrade our things here. I call them affectionately my Guardian Angel.

Without them, I don't know where I'll be right now.

This is one of the nights that I can not sleep inside because for some reason there are many in line for free accomodation for a night.

Once I went out. I realize why.

It's so cold. Oh right. It's already December.

I rub my bare arms to generate some heat.
I went inside to see if I can borrow a spare blanket.

"Hi ma'am." I called one of the older volunteers.

"Yes Sunshine?"

"Is there a spare blanket?"

The volunteer expression fell.
"Oh honey. I already distributed the last batch of blankets but hold on I'll check okay?"
I nodded and wait for her.