Part 27~Haru

Zuko yawned, blinking tiredly as the small rocks spun in his hand. "Can I stop now?"

Haru's mother gulped, nodding as she sat down. "I'm sorry, it's just so hard to believe. The Fire Nation Prince is the Avatar."

Iroh scoffed, picking up his cup of tea. "Trust me when I say, it was a big surprise for us as well." Iroh took a long sip as he hummed in joy. "This is a very nice tea. I'm just sorry my people are causing you so much hassle."

Haru scoffed, crossing his hands. "They're thugs. They steal from us and everyone here's too much of a coward to do anything about it."

Hissing, Haru's mother scolded her child. "Quiet Haru. Don't talk like that."

Isu tilted her head. "Haru's powerful, can't he help?"

"Earthbending is forbidden. It's causing nothing but misery for this village!"

"And that's why I didn't say its name." Isu rolled her eyes, leaning back as Katara tried to soothe her.

"He must never use his abilities."

Katara turned to Haru's mother, frowning. "How can you say that? Haru has a gift! Asking him not to Earthbend is like asking me not to Waterbend. It's a part of who we are."

Haru's mother shook her head. "You don't understand."

Zuko lowered his head. "She might not understand but I do."

"Don't say that! You don't understand! Your people will take Haru! Just like your people took his father!"

Jolting, Zuko looked down in shame. Hachi placed a comforting hand on Zuko's shoulder. No one said anything.

~~~

"My mum said you could sleep here tonight but you should leave in the morning." Haru walked the group into the barn.

"Thanks, we'll try to ensure our bison doesn't eat all your hay." Isu tried to pull Corno away, making her stare at Isu before chewing slowly on the hay already in her mouth.

Haru turned around, walking out of the room. Zuko glanced between the group and Haru before following him. "I'm sorry about what we- I said earlier. I didn't know about your father."

Haru sighed, avoiding Zuko's gaze. "That's okay. It's funny, the way you lot were talking back in the store, it reminded me of him."

"That's surprising. What does a bunch of misfits say to remind you of your father?" Zuko winced at his words. "Sorry, still getting used to the whole socialising thing."

"It's fine. After the attack, they rounded up my father and every other Earthbender and took them away. We haven't seen them since." Haru stared out into the distance.

"I know what they did. I've seen the ships before." Zuko hugged his side, a deep pain in his soul from the suffering his people were causing. "You hide your Earthbending to stay alive."

"Yeah, the problem is the only way I can feel close to my father now is when I practice my bending." Haru lifted up some rocks, spinning them around his hand before crushing them and blowing them away. "He taught me everything I know."

"Strange, my dad never taught me anything other than how to give a really bad burn." Zuko winced once again. "Yeah... shouldn't have said that."

Haru chuckled a little. "You're alright, for a Firebender that is."

"That's good cause Firebending appears to be the only thing I'm good at."

Walking back along the path, the two enjoyed the peaceful silence.

Boom!

Dust lifted into the air, the cries of an old man echoing out. "Help! Help!"

Haru gaped. "The mine!" He took off running to the entrance. Zuko blinked before charging after Haru. As they approached the rubble, they could see the old man scrambling at the ground.

Zuko rushed over, lifting off as many rocks as he could, throwing them away easily. Haru gaped in horror, pushing against the largest rock that held the man down, trying to pull him out from underneath.

"This isn't working! We have to get help!"

Zuko growled, pushing against the rock. "There isn't enough time!" Jumping back, Zuko spun around. Air built up at his sides as he pushed against the rocks with the air, lifting it into the air. Haru tried to pull out the old man but it didn't work. "Come on." Zuko pushed harder, his eyes glowing before he fell over and panted heavily. "Can't you do something?"

Haru opened and closed his mouth in shock, stepping back in fear. "I can't."

"I take that as a no." Growling, Zuko turned back to the old man. He shifted his position, air blowing around him and hitting the rock. Gritting his teeth, he called on more power. His eyes flashed once more, hitting the rock with a blast of fire.

Haru pulled at the old man as Zuko hit harsher and gave room for Haru to pull the old man out of the rock pile. Zuko groaned, falling to the ground as his power gave out on him.

"That was... that was incredible." Haru stared in wonder as Zuko pushed himself up. Haru rushed over, helping Zuko up. "Come on, we should get out of here." Haru pulled Zuko away, the awing look never leaving his face.

~~~

"Your back!" Isu hopped down, staring at Zuko. "Where have you been?!"

Zuko gave her a weary smile, pushing himself through the door and into the barn.

"Zuko! Are you okay?" Hachi rushed over, tilting his head worriedly. "You look exhausted."

Zuko groaned, not saying anything as he hit his head on Hachi's shoulder. Hachi sighed, pulling Zuko to the back as Haru went on about what happened.

Hachi felt a surge of pride hearing the story. He let Zuko lean on him, sleeping soundly in Hachi's warmth.

Isu babbled on in the background, talking animatedly to Haru when banging echoed from the door.

The barn became silent as Haru opened the door. "Hello!"

"There! Over there! That's him!" Glaring at Zuko, the old man pointed at him.

Zuko startled awake, looking over in confusion. Before any of the group could do anything, the fire nation soldier grabbed Zuko and pulled him out of the barn.

"Zuko!" Hachi jumped forward, panicking as he watched Zuko be dragged away.