Shards

"For this game, you will have 16 minutes. Players must cross the bridge within those 16 minutes. And now with that, let the game begin. Each player, please take off your shoes, then go up to the tiles in numerical order." The woman over the loudspeaker finishes her announcement, the first player begins to take his shoes off.

Looking closer at your surroundings, you notice an obnoxiously large timer hanging over the connecting platform. When the first player stepped onto the edge of the bridge, the clock began to count down in bold red numbers. The pressure was on, being the last to go took a major weight off your back to decide on where to jump. However, you knew that it would be difficult to proceed if the players in the front refused to move forward.

The first player to go was hesitant of jumping onto either glass panel. It was a 50% chance of death, 18 times. His probability of survival was dreadfully against him, and he understood that quite well.

"What are you waiting for?" A man yelled from the back.

"We are wasting time here!" said another.

People began to shout for him to speed up the process.

"Hey," said player 101 walking up to him, "take a step or I'll push your ass off."

You could practically hear the drops of sweat falling from his forehead.

"I'll go, I'll go okay? I'm going right now," he said, trying not to fumble on his words.

"Yes, and please try to choose carefully, huh." Says another player, she had vest number two on.

He takes a moment, desperately trying to decide what panel to jump on, eventually jumping to the glass on the left.

Nothing happens.

The other players give hollow praise to his achievement, not wanting themselves to be the ones in his position.

"Oh! Yes, that's it. Keep going to that one, and then the next!" Said vest number two.

Everyone cheered him on to jump to the next panel of his choice. Feeling confident he chooses the one in front of him, he leaps onto the panel making a direct impact on the glass, plunging towards the ground. A surge of silence strides into the room, but is quickly forgotten as the next player jumps onto the other panel.

She begins to mumble something that only she could hear, feeling sure of herself, she leaps onto the left tile and collapses with the glass, accompanied by a loud shriek of terror. The cycle continues, a player picks a panel, jumps, fails, or continues to fall on the next one they choose.

You start to sit down and wait for it to be your turn, there wasn't much to do besides that. Instead of becoming anxious and paranoid about the game, you start to relax knowing nothing will happen to you. Of course, unless you impulsively jump off the platform on purpose.

Eventually, it was your turn to step on the glass panels, you take off your shoes and jump onto the left panel, then to the right, and so on in the same path as the rest.

• • •

In the end, only you, player 218, player 456, and player 67 were left. Though barely, you all had successfully made it to the platform after pressuring and urging those in front to advance to their inevitable deaths. As you all make it to the final platform, the clock hits zero and the remaining glass panels behind you shatter. large glass shards hurled towards you and the other remaining contestants into the air. Once the glass has settled, you were all escorted back to the player room.

While heading back to the main room, you look around the corridor you knew so well that had now turned empty. With only a few players left to walk through it, your conscious began to build up guilt. Despite your thoughts and wishes, all you could do now was continue to make the odds tilt in your favor.

This was the last game, if you could survive just one more game,

"Just one more."

All you could think about now was your own survival. And if that meant giving a pink guard head, then Fuck it.

• • •
Sorry for such a short chapter 😭 I've been working so much on school and whatnot, but I'm trying to write more chapters! Hope you enjoyed my fanfic and please tell me if there are any spelling errors! Thank you all so much!❤️❤️