epilogue

3 years later

December 25th 2021

I slowly open my eyes and yawn. Next to me, I see that Harry is still sleeping. I look at my alarm on the bedside table, it's 8:55 a.m. I'm surprised that I wasn't awake before. This must mean that Grace and Aimée are still sleeping. A true Christmas miracle. Last night, we went to Anne's house for Christmas Eve and we came home late. They had a lot of fun running around Anne's house, playing with their new toys, so when we came home they were asleep in the car. They were so tired that we had to carry them to their bed from the car.

As I get out of bed and grab a sweatshirt to put over my pajamas, I hear little giggles outside of the door. I climb back into bed and pretend to sleep.

I hear them opening the door, their little feet slapping on the hardwood floors. I try to hide my smile but it's impossible. They jump onto the bed and throw themselves on us. Harry grunts, surprised by this morning attack. He rubs his eyes and smirks.

"Mummy! Daddy! It's Christmas! Santa came!" They shout. In a fight of entangled long brown hair, I try to give them a kiss. When I grab one of them, Aimée wraps her arms around my neck and kisses my nose. She's just like her dad. All green eyes and brown curls.

"Good morning my loves. Yes, it's Christmas! Who wants to go have breakfast and open the presents?" I say, holding Aimée in my arms while Grace is sitting on Harry's stomach. Grace plays with Harry's rings who acts like he is dead.

I get out of bed with Aimée following me, holding my hand. "Grace, are you coming?"

She pouts. "But... daddy?" She turns around and hits Harry on top of his head. "Get out of bed daddy we're opening all the presents without you." She leans her head to the right and approaches her face to Harry's. He opens his eyes, grabs her by the waist and throw her in the air. Grace's giggles fill up the room and seconds later Aimée laughs too.

"You wanted to open all the presents without me uh? That's not very nice, I have to punish you in tickles!" Harry says to Grace, still holding her.

She tries to escape his hold, still giggling. "C'mon daddy I'm sorry I want to open the presents!" He stops and looks at her in the eyes. He kisses her on the nose and she sticks her tongue out at him in his back. I wink at her, letting her know I saw what she did.

"Ok, ok... Let's go then! Let's see what Santa brought you." He gets out of bed and kisses me when he approaches me. I open the baby gate and let the girls run down the stairs, their bare feet clapping on the floor. At the end of the staircase they both stop and turn around to look at us, their eyes widening.

In this moment, I realize that even if they are twins, they are both different. Aimée has her dad's hair and eyes while Grace has hazel eyes and her dad's hair. Their slight difference in eye color makes it easier to recognize them. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it and that I'm their mother but I think that it's very easy to difference them.

"Wow!" They both say at the same time. Their eyes are shining looking at the massive amount of presents displayed all around the tree.

I take a picture of their gobsmacked faces. "Well, let's open a present now shall we?" Harry says.

The girls cheer, running towards the christmas tree. I take one, look at the name on it and give it to Grace, Harry doing the same for Aimée. I take my phone to film them. "What is it?" They tear apart the wrapping paper, not without struggling but they succeed, not wanting any help.

"Mummy it's the doll I said that I wanted but I forgot to put it on the list!" Aimée exclaims.

"Me too! Santa knew!" Grace says, hugging the box with the doll inside.