Part 20

Freedom - PART 1

ok, so...since it's Christmas here is my present for you all! i've received recent comments on how y'all missed this smau so here it is back!
leaving you on a cliffhanger because it's my style, but expect a part 2 very soon. byeeez! and merry Christmas!

~~

Fight until you no longer have the strength. This is the motto of the Princess of Fire, when she was not at the palace. Or with her friends.

She had never liked having someone to always protect her, who was always breathing on her neck, who prevented her from living in freedom; for this reason, as soon as she turned 18, and found a career of study that she preferred, she left the palace. Of course, her twin brother followed her.

For as long as she could remember, their parents always agreed with every choice she made, hers and Riff's. But with Riff it was different, he always wanted control, but he didn't want to be independent, because for him spending a life alone with himself scared him, as well as boring him. While the desire that drove Finna to leave was exactly independence, strong emotions, and it was this that she sought every time she left the house.

As it is now. Now she was repeating this phrase, as she went to do what she knew best: fight. She didn't fight for her life, and she didn't fight for money, because she didn't need it, but she fought for a little adrenaline, which she didn't experience the times when she had to attend all those boring meetings at the palace.

Finna took the usual route, which she now knew even with her eyes closed for how many times she had passed, tight bandages on her knuckles and hood well lowered in the head not to be recognized, not by passers-by, but by some politician or important person who might have been on the street at the time, or her bodyguards, who she hadn't been able to shake off after years at the palace, her father's strict order.

From an early age she had always felt suffocated by these excessive and unnecessary attentions for her; sometimes she even came to envy Riff, who instead enjoyed the attentions of the bodyguards and the protection they offered him. She was perfectly aware of why the guards were needed, and how many have risked death for the twins and sovereigns until now. She had personally visited all the guards in the hospital, standing by their side and...simply being there. She felt like that was the least she could do for them.

Being a member of the royal family might seem like a 'served and revered', but in reality it was suffering and danger, at least in the walls of the palace. Since they came into the world, the royal offspring are educated to appear always perfect, both in camera and live. This, for people like her, was a constant torment. And maybe that's what's driving her to fight a lot lately, more than for her life for her freedom, her ego.

As she walked towards her evening 'work', she thought. She thought of how Riff knew nothing of all this. Maybe it's possible that he already knows, and he lets it go every time? She always thought about it, because nobody ever knew how, but they both could feel each other's emotions. It was impossible for him not to feel bad every time she took a punch instead of handing one over, but as painful as this new business of hers could be, she felt...relieved. Is it possible he could feel that, too?

She blinked, looking at the building in front of her, as if she had walked in an alternate universe until now. She didn't even notice that her legs had stopped walking for a while. Without wasting time, she fished a small piece of paper from her sweatshirt's pocket, heading towards the armored door, the one with the usual little window that they showed in the movies.

She knocked four times, a typical signal of the place, and the eyes of a man appeared immediately from the window, interested in knowing who was disturbing them at that time; Finna did not waste time to show the identification code written in the card to those eyes, who nodded and opened the door. Another nice thing was that the only way to be recognized there was through a code, and no one really knew her. She was protected.