When I said I love you

"Gauri, hurry up, we are getting late." Anika shouted from downstairs as I stood amidst of a pile of clothes, clueless about what to wear.

It's not like I am picky about my clothing style, I have always been the type of girl, who prefers comfort over fashion. Which is why, most of my closet is filled with hoodies and baggy dresses.

Unlike my roommate Anika, who is a social butterfly, I always prefers to stay in room and chill over pizza and Netflix in weekends, but today it's different, I am going to see him after five long years! Don't know how he will be looking now but I am sure, he will still be looking handsome.

The last time I saw him was at the airport, when he left to London to continue his studies at a prestigious college after our graduation.

"Gauri... " Anika's high-pitched voice brought me back to reality.

"Hmm... Red or black?" I thought looking at the dresses in front of me.

"Red looks good on you." His words played in my mind, clearing my confusion.

After getting dressed, I curled my hair and pinned it up in a low bun not caring about the wayward straight da of hair, as I began to give a few last minute touches to my makeup.

"Our ride is here, Gauri. Let's get going." Anika pulled me with her as I managed to grab my clutch.

Finally, we got into the car after apologizing to the grumpy driver for making him wait.

The weather today is pleasant with occasional cool breezes that carried an sweet aroma of freshly blooming flowers for June. Leaning my head against the cool window of the car watching the busy streets of Mumbai, I remembered the good old days we spent together walking hand in hand in these busy beach roads, after our college hours.

"We reached the destination, Ma'am." The cab driver said halting the car in front of a magnificent looking hotel.

The cold steel interiors of the elevator didn't did much help to my body, which is already shivering with anticipation and nervousness of facing him.

Anika's warm hands squeezed my shoulder as she smiled at me reassuringly as the elevators dinged exposing us to the music filled room that was packed up with men and women in dazzling clothes.

"Hey Shivaay, sorry for making you wait." Anika said kissing her boyfriend Shivaay's cheek.

"No problem, the party just started." Shivaay smiled kissing her forehead looking at loving.

They are so much in love with each other, I wonder if I will ever have a person in my life, who will love me for what I am.

"Hey Gauri, you want me to get a drink for you too?" Shivaay asked breaking my thoughts.

"Thanks for the offer Shivaay, but I think I will help myself, you two have fun." I smiled and walked towards the farthest table of the party area.

"Gauri, I never thought I could love someone so dearly, hell, I never thought I could love someone, but then you came into my life and everything changed. I Love You Gauri, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked looking into my eyes, with his charcoal black eyes full of hope.

"I Love You and Yes, I will be your girlfriend." I said smiling bright as he pulled me into a tight hug murmuring how happy I made him.

"Ma'am your orange juice." I thanked him and walked back to the corner table away from the busy area, that offered me a clear beeline view of him.

There he stood ever so gracefully, his hand wrapped around his Fiancee Ishana, who looked like a model in her off shoulder Royal Blue dress. They stood there on the stage like a perfect couple smiling at the guests who congratulated them on the occasion of their engagement.

He was speaking with his friends animatedly, when accidentally his gaze met mine and he froze mid sentence. Excusing himself he walked towards me, where I stood with a batted breathe.

With every step he took in my direction, all the memories I thought was long forgotten came rushing back into my mind. His boyish talks, our sweet moments, our love and....

"Gauri—" He said looking like he's still in a daze. "Is that you?"

"Yes, it's me with every bit and fibre." I smiled not letting my emotions overtake my cognitive mind.

"It's been so long and you.. You look so different and beautiful." He said as he shamelessly checked me out.

"Thank you for the compliment." I said giving him a smile to show that I am not affected by his presence.

"Gauri, I am sorry." He said after a long minute of silence, "Things shouldn't have happened the way they happened, but then I was vulnerable, my father threatened to disown me if I don't break up with you. With no penny in my hand, I had no chance but to obey my father."

"Even I had problems. But I always thought that our love is bigger than those trivial things, I thought we could conquer all the odds and make our love win, but you wronged me, Ajay."

"Gauri, I wish I could change what has happened, I still regret my cowardice because of which I lost a great girl like you. Please forgive me."

"I forgive you, Ajay and Congratulations on your engagement." I smiled and walked away from him.

I developed an instant crush on Ajay Malhotra, the very first time I saw him in the library. We became friends, and soon fell in love but the only difference is when I said I Love you, I truly meant it but he didn't.

That's it, "Love is not my cup of coffee." I am gonna etch it in my stupid hopelessly romantic brain in big bold letters.

"I am so sorry—" The man apologized as he accidentally spilled the drink on me after I bumped into him, thank god, I decided to wear the black dress.

"No problem, I am heading home anyway." I said as I began to wipe the wine off my dress with the Kleenex, the man held out for me.

"I am really sorry." He said in a apologetic tone, making me look up at him.

He looked like a knight in black armani, with his silky long shoulder length hair, tower over me in his six feet two height, and he was so close to that I can say that his Cologne has musk and wood as it's base notes.

" Ermm... " Anika cleared her throat, only then did I realized I was checking out this handsome hunk of man in front me in a shameless way.

"Gauri, meet Omkara, my friend." Shivaay introduced, "And Omkara, This is Gauri, Anika's friend."

"Hi." I greeted, my voice sounding like a teenage girl.

"Hey," Omkara said looking straight into my eyes, "would you like to grab a coffee with me? "

I nod my head, involuntarily, under the spell of his deep husky voice and chocolate brown eyes.

"Why not, she's heading home anyways," Anika answered on belhalf of me. "Can you drop her at home? if you don't mind, it's too late to find a Uber now."

"Not at all, I won't mind that, even I am heading home, I can drop her." Omkara said smiling at Anika and nodding at Shivaay.

"Shall we?" Omkara asked guiding me towards the elevators.

"Sure." I said as I followed his lead.