Paper Boat

Monsoons....

First rains of the season are always beautiful. Standing in the balcony of my room watching the kids play with the paper boats in the rain made my mind take a stroll, down the memory lane.

"Sanjana, look, my boat is the biggest unlike yours." Sanjay, my brother said proudly.

I looked down at my amateur paper boat made with a crumpled paper.

All kids in our colony were playing with paper boats, clapping their hands happily, watching their boats sailing in the small water canal formed by the rain water, which is flowing down the lane.

I walked towards the kids, who are now playing paper boats race cheering for their respective boats to reach down the lane first. I placed my boat in the water.

Alas! It drowned due to it's faulty structure.

My brother and other kids laughed at my attempt and tears trickled down my eyes due to the humiliation.

Crying, I ran away from them and sat under the monsoon cassia plant in the corner of the street, looking at the yellow flowers falling from the branches.

"Why are you sitting here all alone? " A little voice came from behind startling me.

I turned around and saw a beautiful little boy of 7 years standing beside the tree wearing a raincoat.

"Aren't you participating in the paper boats race? " He continued further.

"No." I replied sadly.

"Why? " He questioned.

"I don't have a boat. " I cried.

"Hey, don't cry. See I have a boat with me, we both can play with my boat. " He said wiping my tears with his tiny little hand while holding his boat in another.

"You will let me play with your boat? " I asked unsure.

"Yes, of course. Now that we are friends, aren't we? " He asked.

"Friends? But I don't know who you are. " My 5 year old little self said remembering the words of my mom not to befriend the strangers.

"My name is Vikram, we recently shifted into that Orange house. " He said pointing towards the Orange house which is two houses away from my home.

"I am Sanjana, I live in this Blue house." I said pointing towards my home.

"Now that we know each other, we can be friends right? Friends. " He said forwarding his hand.

"Friends." I said smiling.

"Come, let's name our boat before letting it in the canal. " He said taking out a color pencil from his pocket.

"Sanvi." He wrote on the boat.

"Sanvi?? " I asked confused.

"Yes, 'San' of Sanjana and 'Vi' of Vikram together SanVi. " He said smiling.

With that he pulled me towards the canal holding my hand happily to sail our boat.

I was brought back to present with the aroma of coffee that filled my senses.

"Mom...Dad and I prepared Coffee for you. " My daughter said cheerfully balancing the coffee cup in her hand.

"Thank You Sanvi. " I said hugging my daughter Sanvi.

While Vikram was smiling, leaning against the door.