Chapter 12

I went home that night and saw my mother watching the television. I observed her as she laughed at the same hamster show she's been watching over and over again.

I approached her and kissed her cheeks while she was sitting at the couch.

"Hey, grandma. How's your day?"

"Won-ah, you're already home?" She smiled and touched my cheeks dearly.

"Mm, are you doing well?"

"Oh, yes. I'm doing very well, dear." She suddenly gasped. "Oh! I forgot to water my plants. Come, follow me. This is something that I've been busy about for the past few days."

To feed my curiosity, I followed my grandma on the backyard. And then she suddenly started to water some cactus.

I knotted my brows as I saw how she watered the cactus even though it's already night time and it's freezing cold. Maybe it's a species that can tolerate cold weathers? I really don't understand old people.

After she watered the cactuses. She slowly walked into the cherry blossom tree that was planted on our backyard. It's been there ever since I've been alive. And seeing how she always smiles and appreciate the pink petals in the middle of the winter complimented the whole scene.

Just around the tree was a light post which gave an emphasize to the tree. It made the tree shine as the petals fall down her head. It was beautiful.

And then she suddenly faced me smiling. Which made me wondering and confused. But I still smiled as soon as I saw her face.

"After hundreds of centuries, you have finally found them. The people who will lead you to your fate."

"Grandma," I uttered, wondering what she meant with those words.

"My job has been fulfilled, dear. It is you who has to move forward and follow the red strings that lead you to the answers. That light that's been leading you. It is that, you must follow."

"What do you mean, Grandma? Please don't say those words." My heart beat faster as words dg into me like sharp knives. 

"Do not cry, my love. If I have to do this over and over again just to lead you to the right way, I would. And whatever your decision is, grandma will always be here for you. I was made to be a part of your journey. But it seems that I have to make a stop here. Because it must you who must carry on."

I slowly stepped forward, trying my best to stop my tears from falling. This must not be true, right? It must be a dream. 

"I am glad to have found a person who makes saying goodbye feel so hard."

And like the petal falling down, she parted from the world. She disappeared and was carried by the wind carrying flowers.

I kneeled down the cold ground as my tears started to fall down from my face. 

The person that I've always been looking up for ever since I was a child, suddenly vanished through thin air. She was made by the remnant of the past. 

That's it. I'll definitely look for this vague history that we all have. I must find the truth. And one person I remembered was Ni-ki. He knows something about this. 

I stood up and looked for Ni-ki all over the places he usually goes to. Even though it was a very cold night, I pushed myself to find him. So I took out my phone and tried to call him but he wouldn't answer my calls.

After a few places, I ended up finding him at the park. Below one of the lined up maple trees, he was sitting at a bench with a pencil and sketchbook on his hands. The post beside him was the only thing that was giving him light aside from the bright half moon.