Prologue | The Hands are Delt

The 24th year of the reign of his majesty the king, Nigellous III,

They found their king bent double on his olive wood throne, scarlet robe hanging open and pooling at his feet. Advisors, priests, and generals spilled into the dark room as quickly as they could be dressed. The king had seen a vision. The gods had spoken.

The Aertisian armies had stalled at the straight. They would take no further land to the west. The king would not conquer the Cluvani through the blood of swords but through the waters of the womb.

The king lifted his head to regard his cabinet. «The heir to the Cluvani Throne will be borne by her royal highness.» He silenced the protestations of the generals with his Will.

An advisor in oversized robes bowed low before his king. «Surely this barbarian line is not worthy of his majesty's flesh; the blood of gods.»

The Head Priest cut him short, «Who are you to speak for the divine?» The priest lifted his hands in exaltation. «The sacrifice of the jaquelle to the gods' Purpose will be honoured. Our king shall make his name the Bringer of Peace.»

King Nigellous sat back on his knotted throne and steepled his fingers. He liked the sound of that.

The council crossed a fist over their chest at the foot of the king as the sun began to rise over the Eastern Ocean.

The sea-side palace reached up with pale spindling towers toward the brightening skies as if it wished to ascend into heaven. Somewhere in the spires, her royal highness, the jaquelle du Aertisia woke from a fitful sleep.

Something heavy had settled in her chest during the night.

~~~

Greetings Kidlets,

Happy New Year, and welcome to Qurdec!

Home to the Miadonese Empire, Kingdoms of Shpadi and Aertisia, and the Clans of the Cluvani.

I originally intended to start posting this in October but I have obviously settled for the new year... This has been an exercise in giving myself grace. 

I will be exploring mature themes in this book and for that reason I am issuing a book-wide TRIGGER WARNING. There will be:

- Violence

- Sexual Themes 

- Mental Distress and Ill-health

These themes are not meant to be gratuitous and I hope I have handled them with sobriety and nuance. I hope that everyone is able to enjoy this story, these characters, and this world.

Read responsibly,

Moe Lyn