Chapter 31 | Cards on the Table

O'rian immediately set to work undoing the knot binding them with his large fingers. The fire had burned low in their absence, the cushions and trunks exploding with garments exactly how she'd left them.

As O'rian continued to struggle, Rosalyne looked to his belt. «A knife, perhaps?»

He shook his head, growling at the tight loops of leather. «Bad luck.»

Rosalyne sighed, watching him pick at it in an attempt to loosen a part. She brushed his hand away and used her nails to start pulling one of the ends out of the knot, until it began to slip apart, the leather widening until Rosalyne could wriggle herself free.

She rubbed her wrist and tilted her head toward the door as O'rian unwound the rest of the binding. «How long will they be out there?»

She was unable to keep the tremble from the words.

O'rian looked at her sympathetically. «Do not worry about them. They are to make sure neither of us leave — or anyone else enters.» He scoffed at the sounds of their laughter and waved his now free hand. «They will drink themselves into a stupor by noonday.»

«Noonday?» Colour drained from Rosalyne's face and her knees wobbled.

O'rian held out his hands but made no move to catch her. «It's alright, it's alright. Nothing is going to happen.»

Rosalyne clutched her chest where the lock of hair scratched against her skin.

«Oh gods.» She squeezed her eyes shut, her Maëlyn, her poor, poor Maëlyn. She gasped whirling about the room, praying for another door, anything. «I have to go.»

«Nothing has to happen.»

«No, no...» she muttered, knuckles whitening. «I can't — I can't.»

His hands came over her shoulders, rubbing them softly before pulling away again. «It is alright, Rosalyne — I wasn't planning on doing anything but sleeping. Spirits, know we need it.»

O'rian walked to the fire pit and stoked the coals.

Rosalyne's mind was spinning as she followed him. She stood on the main floor watching his back. «We can't sleep here.»

He grabbed a piece of wood from under the hearth. «We can just talk if you like.» He set the wood over the red coals and fanned them gently.

Rosalyne looked to the sky. She had a few hours to execute her plan — such that it was. 

O'rian had stopped stoking the fire and was watching her. «Dys told me something interesting.»

«When did you speak with Dys?» Rosalyne asked, suddenly interested.

«Yesterday?» He rubbed his face. "Stars, I don't remember anymore."

«What did she say? Is she well?»

O'rian shrugged. "Well enough. I brought her tea and she cried. I asked her how you saved her life."

Rosalyne crossed her arms. «Did she tell you?»

O'rian frowned. «Not at first. Told Dolion though.»

«Dolion was there?» Rosalyne stiffened. «Did he touch her?»

O'rian shook his head. «I know you don't like him, but he's not a monster.»

«Not at all? Take her hand, touch her wrist?»

«Oh, yes, he does to everyone.»

«I've noticed. What did Dolion get out of her?»

O'rian sighed. «Everything. Nothing.» He rubbed his face. «She claimed she never laid with Lucas but swore up and down he was her lover. They were out in the gardens together but you told her to say what she did.»