Chapter 21 | The Call

Crowds were always difficult for Rosalyne. Finely tuned Influence made reading the emotions of others second nature. But the unguarded and untethered minds and emotions of five score Cluvani pummelled her with feeling

Despite being seated around other women for the welcoming feast, Rosalyne was not included in their conversation.

And in perfect honesty, she had trouble keeping up with it at all. The cacophony of voices and overlapping conversation made losing the thread of thought maddeningly easy. After a couple hours, fatigue made her slip further into herself and back into her chair.

Lady Dys was across the hall chatting with M'alak's wife and daughter. The girl had climbed into Dys' lap and unwound part of Dys' braid, running it through her fingers with delighted giggles.

Rosalyne wished she could retreat to one of the patio gardens just outside of the mess hall, but it was, at present overrun with children. Children, who seemed terrified or fascinated by her very presence.

Two young boys in twin braids that fell in their eyes, seemed to find particular sport in following any one of the Aertisians around. Clovis reported that the pair had tracked him around the fort by climbing along the roof gutters. Lucas had threatened to throw rocks at them if they wouldn't stop sliding down banisters past Lady Dys.

And although no one had pointed the particular children out to Rosalyne, when she spotted two boys climb the carved pillars and jump onto the ceiling braces above the mess hall to peer down at her, Rosalyne knew that these must be the same boys.

Queen Tavia stood a the head table waving her arms to quiet the hall to a murmur. She thanked everyone for attending the celebration of peace and the marriage of their son, Oxland. She paused, looking to several faces around the hall, and spoke the names of the delegates who had given their life to bring peace and Jaquelle Rosalyne to their tables.

The hall rumbled with the sound of stomping feet as each name was called. Silently, Rosalyne added several names of her own.

The candelabras shuddered overhead as the boys shuffled along the braces into the middle of the room. Dust and wax fluttered down over the guests below. The shadows of the ceiling braces kept the boys hidden from the hall's occupants, but Rosalyne could feel their curiosity, louder and clearer than any other probing child press into her forehead, almost impossible to ignore.

So, while the guests faced the front of the hall as the queen addressed them, Rosalyne glanced up at the ceiling with a smile, pressing her irritation into their little minds.

She felt their jolt of fear as they jerked backwards, suddenly aware that they were caught, then terror as one grappled against the air.

Without so much as contemplating the consequences, Rosalyne dug her claws into Jhak O'rian's mind from where he stood across the room and wilfully tore his attention from his uman.

She shoved away his anger and confusion with the urgency she felt in her chest. She directed his focus to the ceiling a moment before the boy cried out.

A hundred heads craned upward, some even jumping to their feet, but Jhak O'rian was a heartbeat ahead of them. He jumped up on the table, goblets of ale and silver utensils flying.

Rosalyne watched mist like a cloak snap out and fold over his limbs, stretching even taller, arms — paws outstretched.

He snatched the boy from the air, enveloping him into his arms as he hit the stone floor. The jhak opened his arms, and the boy blinked up at the bright ceiling. His stricken face trembled and he began to cry, not out of pain but fear finally catching up to him.