Chapter 9 | In Turn

The Ibheren City of Du'ol, The Lands of the Cluvani

They travelled the last two days to Du'ol with only the food they managed to forage along the way.

It was midday before they broke through the clouds and spotted rooflines among the craggy mountain top. The city of Du'ol was terraced along the ridge leading up to the small stone tower. The slopes either side were levelled to make fat winding ribbons of crops around the sides of the mountain.

Rosalyne watched in confusion as they rode between mules pulling carts of skins, animals, and wood; men and women wearing bundles and buckets upon their heads and strapped to their backs. Children in little more than fringed breeches despite the brittle air scuttled between people's legs and under horses. Dirt smeared lighter patches on their skin as their jangling laughter peeled over the rumble of the road.

The surge of people separated their group as they slogged their way up the crowded streets. One such child ran beneath a horse and skidded to a halt when he saw Rosalyne's face under the hood of her cloak. More of his friends gathered behind him, all staring at Rosalyne and Dys.

Rosalyne told herself to breathe and keep moving forward. She nodded to the boy and urged the sluggish mare forward.

The boy grinned back at Rosalyne. "Jharagii," he called after them.

"Jharagii, jharagii!" The children continued to chant, skipping after her horse through the crowds.

Lord O'rian edged closer on his horse, blocking Rosalyne from the view of the crowd as much as possible. He dismounted and helped Dys and Rosalyne to do the same so as to draw less attention to themselves.

He smiled at the children and addressed them.

The children burst out into another chorus of giggles. The leader tugged on Lord O'rian until he bent down to whisper something in his ear, making Lord O'rian laugh and shake his head.

"Is the protector home?" he asked the boy.

The boy shrugged. "The ihamba are visiting with their fairs. Uman is never in one place with all the extra people for the markets."

Lord O'rian smiled. "Tell your uman, cousin O'rian is here with guests — and there should be more to arrive with Naitani Adofo if they haven't already."

The boy scrunched his face. "I don't think so." He puffed his thin chest. "But with the ihamba, I have been busy as well."

Lord O'rian's smile didn't reach his eyes as he sent the children scurrying up the city to deliver his message. He rubbed his face, peering over the crowd. "Of course there's a fair."

The irritation had not dropped from Rosalyne's expression. «What did they say?»

Lord O'rian grabbed the reins of his horse and began walking forward into the throng once more. «Our reinforcements haven't arrived. While Du'ol is decently secure, it is not fortified like Fort Khadi — and a nomadic market is—»

Rosalyne shook her head. «No. Har-ah-gee — or what have you. What is it?»

«Oh. It's an old clan language. Most are lost now but for a few words that linger in the mountains.» He took the reins of her horse along with his own, leaving Rosalyne and Dys to follow behind him.

The city's chatter washed between them, and Rosalyne had to walk faster to catch up, tugging on Dys tired hand. «Yes, but what does it mean?»

Lord O'rian looked over his shoulder at the pair of women huddled under the dark hoods. «Foreigner — not a particularly flattering term for one.»