Messed Up Chances and Messed Up Wrists

Adam and I sat in the back of the car while my dad was driving us to the medical unit that was available for all US players. He was scared and I was too. I knew what he was going through. He wouldn't be going through it alone though.
"Come on. We are here," dad says as he gets out.
I get out and help Adam get out too. I held his uninjured hand as we walked through the door. My dad went to fill out the paperwork because they already had all of our medical information. He just had to go fill out the forms asking why he was here and things like that. I had a pen and started drawing on Adam's good wrist as a way to distract him. I had a wet piece of paper towel and was wiping away some of my artwork when a boy approached us.
"Well, well, well. If it isn't the two star players for the USA? I saw what happened to your wrist Banks. It's a shame," one of them says.
"Thanks," Adam says weakly.
"You're welcome. I'm Jason Miller. I do figure skating," The boy introduces.
"You already know who we are," I say looking up at him. He nods.
An obnoxious-looking girl walks up to us.
"I'm Mia Calvin. I'm Jason's partner. You're Adam Banks and Waylon Bombay. You two dominate the ice. It's just so sad that you're letting a little wrist injury stop you. I mean Waylon what's wrong with you?" she asks obnoxiously.
"Well, I have broken ribs and a concussion that's why I'm not playing. I have a question for you," I say with the same tone of voice.
"Ask away," she replies.
"Do you want this pen in your eye? Because if you keep talking about Adam like that, that's where it's gonna end up," I say with a smile. She runs off and Jason is not far behind her.
"Thanks, Way," Adam says while laughing.
"Anytime Addy," I reply.
The nurse comes to get him. He was holding onto my hand so right his knuckles were white. I guess she could tell he wanted me to go with him because she let me go without any hesitation. I quickly realized she was my nurse. I hugged her and she hugged back. We walked in and they took X-rays. His wrist was not broken but it was severely sprained. The doctor said that if the pain is gone before finals he can play. He put Adam's arm in a sling.
We made our way back to the car in utter silence. I knew Adam was hurt, mad, and scared. I didn't let go of his hand till he let go of mine with an angry sigh. He jumped into the front seat and slammed the door.
"God, you better give me some patience because I have a very strong feeling that I'm gonna need every bit of it you can give me," I mutter as I look up at the sky.
On the way back rain starts to pour. Adam doesn't say anything when we get back to the hotel. He just gets out and slams the door again.
"I think you should go after him," Dad announces.
"No way. He's just gonna say something that pisses me off and then I'll do something that I will regret later on," I say shaking my head.
"I think that you should. Especially considering that he's waiting by the elevator still. He needs you right now. He may not show it and he may be an ass about it, but I can tell you that the only thing he wants right now is for you to be there for him," Dad replies as I get out of the car. I nod and run inside.
I walk straight for the elevator with Adam hot on my heels. I press the button for our floor. I text Charlie and tell them that Adam needs to be alone. So he and Guy make other sleeping arrangements.
I slide my arm around his shoulder and he leans into me. I kiss his forehead.
We get off of the elevator and rush to his room. As soon as I shut the door, Adam is crying. He lays down on his bed face down and starts hitting the bed with his good hand. I sit on Guy's bed and just watch. This goes on for about ten minutes before he rolls over and opens his arms sniffling.
I walk over and lay down next to him. He wraps his arms around me and buries his head in my neck sobbing.
"It's okay baby. I've got you," I murmur. I continue to rub his back gently.
After about an hour he's finally calmed down. My shirt is soaked and he is tired.
    I change into one of his shirts and lay back down. He cuddles up to me.
    "My chance to finally impress my dad is gone," he whimpers.
    "No, it's not. It's just out on hold for a while. I would rather you miss a few games and be back for the final game than be permanently messed up for the rest of your life," I say softly.
     "I guess you're right," he says as he looks up at me.
     "What are you looking at?"
      "How did I get so lucky to have you as my best friend? You put up with so much that you don't have to put up with. You're there for me when no one else is. Hell, you're there for all of us when our backs are against the wall. I don't see how you do it," he replies.
     "I do it because I love you guys. You haven't given up on me yet, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up on you. Adam, I'm the lucky one. You are the most kindhearted person I know. You are talented and you have the most contagious personality and smile. You're like the sun," I reply.
    "No, you're the sun. You keep all of us together. We all gravitate to you. Dont argue with me on this one either. I love you, Waylon. I'll see you in the morning," he whispers as he shuts his eyes.
    "Love you too," I whisper back as I fall into a deep slumber.

Bombay's Daughter ~ Adam BanksOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara