Floor 5 - Chapter 1 - Treasure Hunt

December 27th, 2022 - Floor 5 Teleport Gate

The town of Karluin. Once upon a time, the town had been a centre for industry, an industry that tore lives apart, and the jewel of an empire's wartime ambitions, developing machines and creatures imbued with the magic of the natives. Now reduced to nothing more than a mausoleum for those that developed their weapons, and an relic to warn people of the mistakes of the past. The disrepair of the town had led to a unique problem in modern times though - many of the weapons had gained their freedom and escaped to the surface, prowling the outskirts for those unwary travellers, the unexpecting warriors or any unfortunate citizens who left the town...

''Well, this is...hmm...''

''It's a bit... creepy, isn't it? It's really different to all the other floors we've been to anyway, and not just because it's so dimly lit. It's like a ghost town... it's kind of sad.''

''It's kind of interesting though, Aincrad once had actual technology, and wasn't just a quasi-feudal system. Wonder what caused all that to collapse though, maybe that Great Separation thing that Kizmel mentioned?''

''Nyehehehehehe'' - The faintest laugh could be heard in amongst the mists. Jet and Koharu both glanced towards each other, and fought back their laughter. The Rat popped up behind them, with no real reaction from either of them...

''Awww, you two used to have the best reactions! What happened...''

''I'd give you an E. Must try better next time...''

''That's a bit harsh... that was probably worth a D at least, Jet.''

''I miss the days when I could get the drop on ya!''

''We don't...'' - Both said in unison.

''I hear you two are an item now... as in, together together. Wanna confirm or deny that... wink, wink!''

''Did you just say wink, wink?'' - Koharu raised an eyebrow at the Rat.

''No point denying it.'' - Argo squealed, causing Jet to attempt to plug his ears.

''Two down, two ta go...'' - Argo muttered, as both Jet and Koharu looked towards each other apprehensively.

''How much did you bet on us getting together, Argo...'' - Koharu voiced the couple's thoughts.

''I would never bet on my friends!'' - Argo feigned offence, the smaller girl becoming more skittish under the questioning.

''Whatever they're giving you, or you're losing, I'll double it.'' - Jet reminded himself of how he dealt with his sisters, and how easily they caved to cold, hard cash.

''250 Col.''

Koharu looked genuinely annoyed, and Jet, being somewhat smarter now, inched away slowly, before Koharu pulled him back... ''Really? We're worth that little to you?''

''That was the double amount...''

Both Jet and Koharu looked like disappointed parents towards the Rat, who was currently withering under their glares... ''I'm actually disappointed, Argo...''

''Nyehehe, anyway! I've got a little mission for ya both!''

''Naturally.''

''Hey! Not my fault yer the most reliable people here! Plus I need ya to babysit someone...'' - A ginger haired girl clad in blue appeared from behind, and looked rather unhappy.

''I don't need babysitting! You asked me to help you!'' - She spoke, the slightest hint of an accent in there. Jet recognised it vaguely, as somewhere in America. A little strange, given she looked Japanese, by any means. Maybe he was just hearing things...