Floor 9 - Chapter 6 - A Daring Rescue

As Jet and Phillia headed back through the corridors of the castle, an uncomfortable silence filled the air surrounding the two for different reasons. Jet, living with seven sisters, knew that if at any time they considered prying into his love life, it was never a good sign, and therefore it spelt danger for someone. Maybe he was being a bit presumptuous, and Phillia just happened to be nosy, but he'd rather not take any chances.

Phillia, on the other hand, was struggling to piece together what Jet had said earlier, even if he was being deliberately ridiculous. She just hoped it wouldn't eat away at him too much.

''Sooo...'' Phillia started.

''So...'' Jet responded.

A pair of hands grasped onto Jet's shoulders, and pulled him away. ''We need to talk.''

Phillia looked on blankly, and tried to think of an excuse for how she'd just lost a person...

/-/

Jet looked around the bedroom, and wondered exactly why he'd been pulled into the room with no warning. More surprisingly, Mito was stood there, looking as if she didn't hate him. Had he banged his head whilst slashing earlier?

''You really don't like me, do you?'' Jet asked, cutting right through the uncomfortable air around them.

''Not really, no. Remind me a little too much of myself, if I'd made the right choices.'' Mito admitted, a a slight look of shame on her face, as she looked away.

''How do you mean?''

''Koharu was telling me all about you guys, and how you were the reason she ever got the courage to go out there. I guess I can see Asuna in her, if I'd not been such a coward. I was terrified that she'd be hurt because of me, and I made bad decisions because of it. I guess I thought that if I couldn't do it, then no one else could. I sound absolutely pathetic saying that out loud, I know.''

''Huh, I just thought that I was being a bit of a dick again.'' Jet shrugged, as Mito nodded slightly.

''Well, that too. You do kind of have an abrasive personality...''

''Oh yeah, I know.'' Jet nodded, as it were the most obvious thing ever. ''But I'm not so sure that you should feel as guilty about Asuna as you do. I won't say she's safe, because... well, you know, but she's done a damn good job of adapting to this world. She found someone to work with, and if I'm honest, I think the guy she found needed someone to work with too.''

''You and Koharu, how do you do it?''

''Uhh, do what?'' Jet's eyebrows raised almost into his hairline at the question. She wasn't asking about that, was she? Even by his standards, that was a bit rude!

''How aren't you two scared for each other? I've watched both of you throw yourselves into the jaw of danger, for no reward whatsoever, and yet...''

''Yet I've never shown that I'm scared, right? If I'm honest, I'm terrified, not just for Koharu, but for everyone. The rational part of me says they're all on the same level as me, so stop worrying, but the rest of me? Nah. Thing is though, Mito, I know that Koharu's scared of it, but being scared isn't a bad thing. In here especially, being scared is a good way to survive, in my eyes.''

''Koharu really wasn't kidding about the speeches, was she?'' Mito joked.

''They work! Some of the time, anyway...'' He begrudgingly admitted.

''If you two are done... we've been summoned.'' Phillia leant against the door frame, as Rain and Koharu poked their heads around her, whilst Mito held hers in her hands. Jet just slow clapped them, knowing that they'd had at least some part in this...