3: Matters Of The Heart

This chapter is dedicated to fatymayna ! Lots of love darling ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Orphaned at the early age of three, Najah was raised by her maternal grandparents. Her parents had passed away in a car crash.

Although she didn't feel the warmth of her parents, her grandparents did everything they could to fill the void in her heart. Although they couldn't give her all the love and attention she craved for, they provided her with all the material things she wanted.

At the age of thirteen, her grandfather passed away. Her grandmother's weak heart couldn't take it, resulting to her passing a month later.

Despite being taken in by her paternal uncle, Anas—the only person who was compassionate among her father's siblings—loneliness became Najah's companion. His wife, Aiza had three children with him; Emad being the eldest and the same age as her, then a set of twins, Hasan and Husain. Aiza was nice to Najah only when her husband Anas was around. In his absence, Najah was not more than a pariah. Her cousins weren't close to her either, probably because they had been brainwashed by their mother.

At fifteen, to Najah's delight, she was sent off to a boarding school to complete her studies.

After her SSCE and UTME, she gained admission into the university of Maiduguri, where she graduated with a second class lower division in business administration.

Her life changed when she met a middle-aged woman at a shopping mall and helped her take the goods she bought to her car. Hajiya Hauwa instantly took a liking of Najah and offered to be friends with her. She would hang out with Najah and sometimes, invite her over to her mansion and introduce Najah to her son.

On a fateful day, Hajiya Hauwa made her intention of wanting Najah for her only son known to her. Although Najah already saw it coming, she was taken by surprise. She didn't expect everything to move so fast, but at the same time, she was glad because she was attracted to him and he seemed like a responsible person.

It had always been Najah's dream to own a family-a family that consists of a husband and kids. She wanted to experience the feeling of loving and being loved in return, so when the opportunity presented itself to her, she grabbed it.

Najah's hand traced meaningless patterns from Jameel's forehead, down his lips; her fingers lingering on the soft flesh. He looked so peaceful, sleeping...so handsome.

Najah couldn't help but wonder why he was always distant. She wanted to know why he was distressed. She wanted to be able to help him overcome whatever anxiety he was dealing with. As his wife, she wanted to become his confidant. It hurt her to see him in so much misery.

"Why did you leave me?" Jameel unconsciously muttered. "JaFrah..."

A lone tear slipped out of Najah's eye. She took her hand off his face, and before she could move away from him, he grabbed her hand, making her fall on him.

Najah took in a sudden breath.

Jameel's eyes opened and in a split second, he pushed her off him.

Najah hit her elbow on the nightstand and winced in pain.

"I'm sorry," Jameel apologized. "I didn't mean to push you. Are you hurt?"

"My hand," she replied, holding her elbow, which was hurting badly.

Jameel rushed to the bedside drawer and brought out a balm.