27: Homesick

Dedicated to Thayyeeba0 ❤️

In all the years Afrah had lived, she had never felt so foolish. She couldn't believe she allowed herself to be fooled by Najah. She was more pained about the fact that Najah felt it was okay to involve herself in her and Jameel's relationship. The effrontery was unbelievable.

Afrah sat by the foot of her bed, Najah's words repeating themselves in her head like a mantra. Afrah wished she hadn't restricted the urge to slap her across the face. She had never disliked anyone the way she disliked Najah, and every time she made up her mind to be at least cordial with her, for Jameel's sake, she gave her more reasons to rethink her decision and dislike her more.

The ringtone of her phone pulled her from her thoughts.

Because she felt it was Jameel calling, she hesitated for a while before picking up her phone. She was a tad mad at him for giving her address to Najah. She had a hunch it was a planned work between the both of them, and unless it turned out to be a misconception, she didn't want to see nor talk to him. He had a lot of explaining to do.

"Hello, Afrah. How are you doing?"

In an attempt to calm her nerves, Afrah took in a deep breath. "I'm alright."

"You sure don't sound alright." Amal Remarked. "What's wrong? You can tell me."

"I've been here for barely three days, yet this b-" Afrah sucked in her teeth, cutting herself off before the expletive word could emerge. "This woman doesn't spare any chance to exasperate me. I have never seen a slyer person in my life. I'm not even exaggerating. She's a snake in sheep clothing. You should see how she acts around people-all innocent and naive when in fact she's very manipulative. If she thinks she can play everybody and make them dance to her tune, then she's mistaken because I have already had her figured out. I will stop at nothing to ensure her telos fail."

"Woah, this sounds serious! What has she done to you?"

"She's been sticking her nose in my business, and I have been ignoring her. God knows I have been trying my best to keep my hands to myself. I'm done trying. If she messes with me one more time, I'll be left with no choice but to unleash the beast in me. You know how I get when provoked."

"What's even her problem?" Amal chuntered. "I can't wrap my head around why she'd make it a mission to get on your nerves."

Afrah scoffed. "You haven't heard the most annoying part yet."

"What did she do?"

"Can you believe this woman deceived me?"

"Deceive you? How? What do you mean?"

Afrah could literally sense Amal's confusion. It was warranted because she also felt the exact way a few minutes ago.

"Do you remember the things I told you she told me when she visited me while I was staying at your place? It was all made up."

"I'm sorry, Afrah, but I still don't understand what you're saying. Made up how? Be more literal."

"She insulted me and all that because she wanted to provoke me into marrying Jameel. She knew I'd feel offended and would want to pay her back. She used my heart to play lawn tennis."

At Afrah's last statement, Amal burst out laughing but quickly masked it with a cough.

Afrah rolled her eyes, offended. "What's funny? Did I crack a joke? I'm being serious right now."

"I'm sorry," Amal cleared her voice. "I really didn't mean to laugh...I know you must be feeling terrible right now."

Afrah blinked, fighting back the tears that were forming in her eyes. Her heart felt so constricted in her chest, and a lump suddenly got stuck in her throat. "I feel so stupid right now."