40: Bittersweet

Najah couldn't explain her feeling when Jameel broke the news of Afrah's pregnancy to her. One moment, she was happy-happy that there was going to be an addition to their family for she knew how much Jameel loved kids. The next moment, she felt a tad sad that it wasn't her. It would be awfully nice to have a family of her own. She also loved kids. She wanted them. A lot of them. It was a bittersweet moment for Najah but despite the mixed feeling, she still wore a smile on her face all through the conversation they had.

"Hey," Jameel nudged her with his elbow. "Where's your head at?"

Najah flashed him a smile. "I was thinking about Afrah...you must be extremely happy about the baby."

Jameel glanced at her with a smile before averting his gaze back to the road. "It feels surreal. For some reason, I was stupefied. It was more than I bargained for."

The bliss in his voice couldn't be overemphasized.

"It was sincerely the last thing on my mind." Jameel continued. "Afrah didn't expect it either because before we visited the hospital, she had taken a home test and it came out negative."

"It's not always accurate."

Jameel nodded in agreement.

"Have you told Hajiya yet?"

"I have. She sounded happy. She even said she'd come to the house when Afrah is almost due to take care of her herself. I think she's started to have a change of heart."

Najah hummed. "Seems so."

"I want that so badly. I just want everyone to be at peace with one another."

"But I don't think Afrah is ever going to be at peace with me. I've been doing everything to get on her good side... it's even beginning to seem I'm forcing a friendship with her, but it's not working. She sees me as her biggest enemy."

"Naj-"

"I'm not telling you all these with any motive in mind, I just felt you needed to know that I have been putting in the effort. She hates me and I don't think she'd ever like me. It's fine though. I'll just keep doing my part."

"Najah," Jameel stretched his hand to grab hers. "I know you have been putting in the effort. I see it...I'm thankful to you for that. Words cannot express how much."

Najah gave a closed-lip smile. It was what was most important. At least he knew.

"And Afrah doesn't hate you," Jameel sighed. "You don't know this but there's something she said to me that makes me so sure. More time is what she needs. You can't say she's not nicer to you than before."

"What's that?" Najah couldn't contain her curiosity. "What did she say?"

Jameel shook his head.

"You're not going to tell me?"

Jameel nodded. "But trust me, it's something admirable from her end."

Different thoughts flooded Najah's head. She just wondered what the good thing Afrah had said to Jameel about her was. Or, she thought, did Jameel fabricate a lie to make her feel otherwise about Afrah?

"Hmm..."

"Trust me."

Wordlessly, she nodded.

"What's," Jameel looked at his wife. "On your mind?"

"You didn't notice what I called you earlier, did you?"

"Of course I did," Jameel chuckled. "I wanted to even bring it up earlier but it skipped my mind."