44: Triggered

Jameel returned from the masjid and went straight to his mother's room to greet her.

He met her seated on her prayer mat and sat beside her on the floor, waiting for her to finish her morning supplications.

When Hajiya rubbed her palms on her face, Jameel knew she was done.

"Assalamualaikum, Hajiya," he greeted. "Good morning."

"Ameen, wa alaikum salaam, Jameel. Are you just coming back from the masjid?"

"Yes, Hajiya." He replied and squinted. "I hope you did not forget to pray for me."

"Is that even possible? I always pray for your well-being. There is no time I don't."

"I know Hajiya," Jameel smiled. "I was only pulling your legs. I know you always do. Your prayers have kept me going. I know I don't always say this to you, but Hajiya, I appreciate you a lot and you're the most important person in my life. You've been both a mother and a father to me. I don't take that for granted. I pray Allah grants you more years in good health."

Hajiya's eyes glistened with tears. "You know when your dad passed away, I cried. I cried so much because I didn't know how I would take care of you alone. I didn't know if I would do a good job but seeing how you've turned out, I guess I did a good job."

"You did," Jameel reassured, wiping the corners of her eyes. "You surely did an excellent job, and that is why I will forever be indebted to you. Your happiness is my top priority."

"So is yours," said Hajiya. "Everything I have done till now is to ensure I provide you with all the happiness in the world. That's the reason I made you marry Najah. Because I know she's going to keep you happy forever and even when I'm gone from this world, I wouldn't have anything to worry about because my only child is in perfect hands."

"I know, Hajiya, and in Sha Allah, you're not leaving me anytime soon. I still need you in my life. There will never be a time I wouldn't need you." 

"Ameen."

"Have you taken your drugs?"

"Yes."

"Hajiya, your nails are long. Where is your cutter, let me help you cut them."

"It's in that drawer over there."

Jameel got the cutter and returned. He sat in front of his mother and placed her leg on his thighs. "Why did you allow them to grow this long?" He asked as he began to cut her nails.

"I missed you doing this for me."

"Me too, Hajiya, but you know I'm not always here to do it for you and you have to do it regularly."

Hajiya only smiled in response.

"Hajiya," Jameel called. "Isn't it time you came to live with me?"

She shook her head in disagreement. "I prefer it here. Besides, I have people I can depend on here. I can't just leave this place and move to your house. I don't want anyone to make me feel like a liability."

"What? Liability? To me? Come on, Hajiya, you know I can never make you feel that way because you are not and never will be."

"It's not you or even Najah, it's Afrah. I have seen the way she looks at me. She doesn't like me. The feeling is mutual anyway."

"No one can make you feel like a liability in my house, not even Afrah. If she doesn't like you, she will have to learn to like you or live somewhere else. It's just a misconception by the way, Afrah likes you, and I'm sure you like her too. How can you not like what your son likes?"