36: In The Doldrums

"He didn't text me yesterday," Afrah complained to a nonchalant Nazir.

Nazir shrugged.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" Afrah sneered.

"What do you want me to say? Huh, ya Afrah?"

"I said Jameel didn't text or call me last night. I don't know what's going on with him."

"What did you expect? That he'd keep calling and texting, while you keep ignoring him?" Nazir shook his head. "You think I haven't noticed?" Nazir asked when he noticed the surprise on his sister's face. "He's bound to get tired."

Afrah let out a humorless chuckle. "He's already tired? After what he did to me? He has no right!"

Afrah's last statements pulled Nazir's attention. "What did he do that is so bad? Why aren't you telling us? You came home and told us you just came to visit and I've noticed you don't pick up his calls. What aren't you telling us? You're definitely hiding something from me."

Afrah clenched her eyes. She mentally hit herself on the head for almost spilling the beans. It was true that she was still mad at Jameel for hitting her but she couldn't bring herself to tell her family what happened for she knew they, especially her father would do everything in their power to take her away from Jameel for good, and she didn't want that...

Since the day she left Jameel's house, he had never failed to send his daily apology and love messages. Although Afrah never replied to those messages, she always looked forward to receiving them for they brightened her day. She had gotten so used to them that she felt so disappointed and empty when she didn't receive them last night.

"Come on, tell me what the problem is. I promise not to judge," Nazir urged.

"There's no problem!" Afrah rolled her eyes. "I'd have told you otherwise."

Nazir didn't look convinced but he didn't pry further. "If you say so."

"Maybe something came up."

"What?"

"Maybe he slept early..."

"Maybe."

"Or maybe he had a lot to work...or he—"

"Why don't you call and find out?"

Afrah shook her head.

"Who knows maybe he's sick."

Afrah's heart increased its tempo. Why hadn't she thought of that? "I'll call him."

"Good. Should I...excuse you?"

"Yes, please."

Immediately after Nazir left, Afrah picked up her phone and began to call him.

When he didn't answer, Afrah's worry skyrocketed. In her heart, she felt something was wrong. She just couldn't pinpoint what it was. She mentally prayed for Jameel's safety. "Please don't be sick." She muttered under her breath. 

She dialed his number again, and this time, he picked at the fourth ring.

"Assalamualaikum! Jameel?"

"Wa Alaikum salaam..." he responded in a low-pitched voice.

From his tone, Afrah could tell that something was indeed not right with him. "Are you alright?"

"I..." His voice trailed.

"You're sick!" It wasn't a question but a statement.

"I'm—"