15: Hook, Line And Sinker

"What are your intentions for my daughter?" Dr. Abdulmalik who was seated on the couch asked Jameel who was on the floor across him; his back reclined on the couch there.

His wife, Mrs. Amina was also seated beside him on the couch. She cleared her throat.

The scenery painted a picture of a wayward child being reprimanded by his father and cohorts.

Jameel's gaze averted to Afrah before darting back to Dr. Abdulmalik. "I want to marry her." His reply was succinct.

"If I'm not mistaken, you already have a wife," Mrs. Amina chimed in. "How do you intend to be a just husband to the both of them."

Afrah swallowed. She was a little uncomfortable with the question asked—not because she thought he wouldn't be able to give the appropriate answer, but because she felt her parents were doing too much.  Although she had been separated from Jameel for a few years, she hadn't forgotten that he was a man of integrity. He had always treated everyone he came across with utmost respect. It was one of the many things that attracted her to him.

"I won't promise to be a hundred percent just, but I'm going to try my best. I won't give Afrah any reason to be sad—this, I promise."

Afrah smiled. Jameel was handling the questions better than she had thought.

"And your wife?" Mrs. Amina continued. "How are we sure she's not going to treat Afrah badly?"

Before Jameel could reply, Mrs. Amina raised a hand, signaling that she wasn't finished just yet. "Afrah isn't a troublemaker. If she reacts to something in an extreme or violent manner, then she has a valid reason for doing so. Everyone that knows her can attest to that."

For the first time since the conversation started, Afrah agreed with the question and the statement her mother made. She felt it was the right question to ask because she also wanted to hear his reply. From the first and only time she met Najah, she could tell she wasn't a nice person. Not only was she disrespectful, but she also acted like an uncultured nincompoop. One thing was certain for Afrah; there was no way she was going to get along with such a person.

"Najah is one of the most coolheaded persons I have ever met. I'm certain she wouldn't be a problem."

Afrah suppressed the urge to roll her eyes at his reply. For Jameel to be that oblivious of the snake living with him, then she must be a vicious and pretentious one. She made a mental note to expose Najah for who she truly was.

"Good." Mrs. Amina reclined backward.

"After the marriage, where are you going to keep her?" Dr. Abdulmalik asked, taking over from where his wife stopped.

"Actually," Jameel replied, glancing at Afrah.  "We haven't talked about it yet but I plan to find a place in—"

"I don't want that," Afrah interjected. "I'm okay with sharing the house with...her."

"Are you out of your mind?" Mrs. Amina glared at her daughter.

"It's what I want, mom." Afrah stood her ground. She had thought long and hard about her decision and figured it was the best thing to do—to prove to Najah that she had the upper hand when it comes to Jameel. "At least, I will have a chance to be closer to her and it will be less stressful for Jameel. He doesn't have to spend unnecessarily too."

"Alright," Dr. Abdulmalik agreed. "if that's what you want."

Jameel smiled at Afrah.

Needless to be told, Afrah knew it was what he wanted. The gratefulness in his eyes was quite glaring.