23: Ignorance Is Bliss

Although Najah knew Jameel's love for Afrah, she had no idea of its intensity. Yesterday, during their outing, all Jameel practically talked about was her. He always found a way to involve her in every single conversation. Najah found it a tad bothersome because Jameel couldn't hide his disappointment about Afrah not being there with them. Jameel didn't say it, but even a stupid person could tell he didn't want to be there. He rather be somewhere else. His body might be there, but his heart and soul were with Afrah.

Najah was astonished because she was seeing a side of Jameel she had never known. It was understandable if he didn't want to spend time with her, but his mother too? Initially, no one was more important than his mother for him. He enjoyed and always looked forward to spending time with her. Could his love for Afrah be greater than that of his mother?

Najah might have accepted the fact that Jameel had no feelings for her at the moment, but she still harbored a ray of hope in her heart. Sooner or later, Jameel would come to realize her love for him and reciprocate it. Although it seemed and sounded impossible even to herself, she still held onto the little hope. Impossibility is overrated. People change, and so do feelings.

Getting out of her bed, Najah went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for everyone, especially Hajiya Hauwa because she would be leaving them that day.

When Hajiya Hauwa told her yesterday, she was sad. She had wanted her mother-in-law to stay longer. Hajiya was like a mother she never had. She was the one person she could confide in without worrying about being judged.

Najah shook her head and heaved a deep breath. Her concentration went back to the food she was making.

In less than an hour, Najah was done making breakfast. She set the table before going to Hajiya's room first.

"Assalamualaikum." she pushed open the door and walked in to Hajiya Hauwa talking on the phone with someone.

Waiting for her to be done, she sat on the couch.

"Alright. Till I come. Bye." Hajiya ended the call and averted her gaze to Najah.

With a bright smile on her face, Najah greeted; "Good morning, Hajiya."

"Good morning, Najah," Hajiya Hauwa returned the smile. "How did you sleep?"

"Alhamdulillah, I slept fine. I'm just sad you're leaving us today. Can't you please stay for two more days? We're going to miss you terribly."

Hajiya shook her head. "I wish I could but I'm afraid I can't, I have a lot of things to do in sokoto. Besides, my people are already missing me there."

Najah hummed; displeased by her response. "So Hajiya, we are not your people here?"

Hajiya patted the space next to her, inviting Najah to go closer to her.

"I know you're sad because," Hajiya Hauwa started and took Najah's hand in hers. "You think Jameel will be unfair to you once I leave, but I assure you that isn't going to happen, and if it does, don't hesitate in telling me. I will personally come back here and set things right. You have nothing to worry about, my dear. Just have faith, and remember everything I told you yesterday. Just be yourself, okay?"

Najah blinked, fighting back the tears that were threatening to elude. Without even having to voice out her worry, hajiya already knew it.

Indubitably, Najah knew Jameel would try his best to act fair between the both of them, but with the amount of love he had for Afrah, Najah feared he would change. She also wasn't tactless about the fact that Afrah had manipulative tendencies.

"Najah?" Hajiya Hauwa called jolting her from her trance. "Are you okay?"

"Hmm...I was just thinking of how empty this house would feel when you leave us but I know you must, so I'm not going to make a fuss about it." She smiled. "Please visit us again soon."