13

Xiao's POV

After a few hours of walking, I finally reached Dunyu Ruins.

My legs were exhausted and I was out of breath.

I was pretty vulnerable in this state.

I took a deep breath and took in the enormous ruin in front of me.

This was the place where my friends died.

This was the place where I caused their death.

I cautiously walked towards it, trying to ignore the screams in my head.

"Took you long enough."

I instantly took out my spear and got into a fighting stance, narrowing my eyes at a figure walking out from one of the pillars.

He had ginger hair and a red mask hanging on the side of his head. He wore a grey suit and he had a stupid smirk on his face.

In the person's hands, was a familiar girl with brown hair in messy pigtails, struggling to get out of the man's grip.

"Hu Tao!" I yelled with a hint of relief.

She stared at me in horror.

"Xiao! It's a trap!" She widened her eyes.

"Don't worry." The ginger guy raised a knife to her throat, she whimpered in fear.

"I'm pretty sure your friend here already understands the situation." He smirked wider.

He tightened his grip on Hu Tao.

"So, are you going to give yourself up and save her?" He glanced at Hu Tao, she gave him a dirty look. "Or leave her behind like what you did to your friends?" He raised an eyebrow mockingly.

"Don't mention my friends." I growled, tightening the grip on my spear.

"Xiao! Leave me and go!" Hu Tao shouted.

The man just chuckled and said nothing.

"Hu Tao..." 

I lowered my spear. She widened her eyes.

"I've already made my decision." I smiled sadly.

"No..." Tears formed in her eyes, her face showed horror and despair.

"Alright, guys! Seize him and make sure he doesn't escape!" The man called out behind him.

Four fatui members emerged from behind, walking towards me with spears in their hands. They aimed the spear at my neck, so I wouldn't do any sudden attacks.

"Release Hu Tao." I growled.

The man shrugged and let go of Hu Tao. She ran towards me and frantically tried pulling the guards off me but to no avail.

"XIAO! NO! XIAO!" She screamed, tears streaming out of her face and she fell onto the floor.

"Live for me, okay?" I spoke softly, glancing at her.

"Let's go." The ginger man gestured to go into the ruins and the guards brought me in.

Hu Tao chased us inside but the man had shut the bar doors and locked it in her face. She banged at the door over and over, screaming my name.

I kept staring at her until she disappeared from my view, distant sobbing could still be heard.

I looked down at the floor, was this the right thing to do?

"Alright." The man stopped in his tracks and glanced mischievously at me, I narrowed my eyes.

In a split second, the man had raised his hand to my neck and chopped it.