Chapter 5

"She almost got taken by Vander," Lana says. "Luckily, I noticed her. Elijah, Ace you guys should get back to training and your studies."

"But what about the girl?" asked Elijah. He was really attractive. He had messy white and remarkable blue eyes. Ace had darker brown hair and also remarkable blue eyes.

"I have absolutely nothing to be doing here. I should better go." I say. "My name is Avery by the way."

The boys whistled as they looked at me, carefully going up and down with their eyes. I was confused at why they were whistling.

"She looks like she could be one of us," says Ace. Lana stared at him.

"Why would that be?" she asks. "She could be one of the ordinary. A Muddner"

He sighs.

"She has the Eye." Ace says. "A Muddner would not be able to see us."

Lana gives me a look.

"What is the E—" I cut myself off. A sudden realization comes to me. The Eye is the ability to see Midnights. Ace was right.

"Yes, I have the Eye. And if Lana has a problem with that she will need to cope with it," I say.

Lana gives me an "I'm so sorry I underestimated you" look and I nod in approval.

"I think we should consult with the head of this Institute. Avery is one of us and she will need a room. Then we will get back to training and Avery can come as well," says Ace.

After I was introduced to the head of the Institute who was a 34-year-old man. He had messy brown hair and green eyes and seemed nice enough to me. He welcomed me and agreed to train me and have lessons. His name was Jordan.

"Well Avery, You are undoubtedly the biggest surprise in my lifetime working here," he says. " However being a Midnighter is a hard job but don't worry it isn't impossible. Everyone had some trouble getting good coordination while holding their weapons,"

Then once he was done explaining everything to me I was led to the training hall. Each of us had a trainer who would train us. I got Wane who was quite hot. He then started to teach me some of the basics which I got quickly, and then we moved on to the harder things. We worked on a variety of things. For example how to block, tract, and handle a weapon, etc. After 4 hours of training, I was exhausted.

" Well Avery, you are a natural. I never thought you would be so good and being able to handle a weapon is not easy and yet you got it very fast," says Wane when we are packing up equipment. "Next time we will move on to more swordplay, arrow firing, spear throwing, and even have flexibility training. Is that good with you?" he asks.

I nod and go change.