Chapter 13

Ace was always the dream guy every girl wanted to have. I loved the way that he's so caring of me and loves me so much. I wanted him to be myself but I was afraid to ruin the friendship I had with him. After hugging for a while he lets me go and now makes my stomach hurt so much of the butterflies fluttering in me. I loved the feeling of being loved. I've always thought that it was terrible, but it's not.

"I'm tired. I think I'm gonna get some rest," I say and my eyes start closing and Ace has to catch me because I almost fell to the ground. He carried me up to my room in his arms which felt so good. Then he laid me down on my bed and tucked me in, kissed me on the cheek, and left the room, closing the door behind him. I dreamt that night wondering about all the other girls in the other school next to us where I escaped from to go be with the Midnighters. I missed my mom very dearly and wanted the best for her. She meant the world to me, and I wanted to let her know that I was alright. She must be worried sick about her daughter who left her without even telling her. I wish that I was a better daughter.

The next morning I woke up to the warm sunshine coming down into my room. I loved the way that the sun's rays were so free and could creep into even the slightest cracks of darkness. I looked at my clock and it read 9;32. I decided to make some use of my day and got up and went over to the bathroom to shower. Then I changed into a warm comfy sweater and blue jeans paired with black boots and brushed my hair and let it flow down my shoulders. Suddenly there came a knock at my door. I rushed to open it, to find Ace standing there with two coffee cups.

"Hey, someone looks like they need a refresher for the day," he says with a chuckle and I smiled and took one of the coffee cups from him. We talked for a while, drinking here and there. He took me to the mess hall where we had breakfast. It was so delicious. I had some fresh bread with honey that tasted like heaven. I learned that his mom died when he was 11 years old. His dad died when he was 14 years old due to depression. He made friends with Lana, Elijah when he was 15 years old. Since then he's been living in the Institute.

"What about you Avery?" he asks.

I sigh.

"My birth was the most violent of all. I never knew my dad. She said that he was dead. Protected me from everything and told me that there's danger waiting in the corner. When I was at school, everyone bullied me for who I was. My mom told me about these Midnighters and I've never known who they were. My grandfather Jem used to read to me some of the stories about them. Then he left us and we never saw him again.." I say with a sniffle.

Ace looks at me with sympathetic eyes. "I know how it feels like to lose someone. I hate that you are in all this pain," he says sorrowfully, "You're not allowed to go through so much pain."

I cry a small tear.

"Avery!" a voice screams.

It's Jordans.

I whirl around to see a very panicked Institute leader standing in front of me.

"Your mom was kidnaped by Vander," he says breathlessly.

My eyes bulged out, my heartbeat quickened.

"What?"

"She was taken from her house and then went through a portal and into Vander's place somewhere in Aressall."

Great, now my mom is in trouble. I'm so annoyed. I should've taken care of her but I didn't.

"What should we do?" I ask nervously.

Jordan sighs.

"You're way too young to go after her. We'll need someone with more experience. I will call the headquarters and see what we can do. In the meantime I've found you a teacher who can help you with your powers, Avery" he concludes and gestures to me to follow him.

We arrive at his office and there sits a woman with long black hair that was pulled into a braid. Her skin is dark and it looks darker against her hair. I sat next to her. Jordan pulls out his chair and folds his arms together.

"This is Carolina, she's one of those who can help you with your powers. She's been someone self-taught as she went through the experience herself," he says, "You will begin today and if there is any trouble please report to me."

Carolina smiles.

She stands up and leads me out of the office and we begin training.