Chapter 11

As I near the school grounds I see the building that I escaped from. It was the same almost indistinguishable from any other building that I went to. It was not the Institute with its high walls and intricate designs on the window frames and the doors. The area is barren with fallen leaves and trees that look sick. Their branches are bare and turning a dark shade of brown. I step carefully to not be heard by anyone. Since I am a Midnighter and under the Eye rune which keeps us from being seen, no one will be able to see me. A figure suddenly steps out from the school. I instantly recognize it.

It's Josh. But he's not in the same shape as he was before. He looks like he didn't sleep at all. He's unarmed. This gives me an advantage since I have an Alkura blade. Once he's a good distance away from me, he smirks a smile.

"So ready to prove yourself?" he says devilishly.

I smirk at him.

"Do you think I wouldn't?" I say coldly and reach for my Alkura blade that is strapped to my back.

Josh's eyes widen.

"What is that?" he asks nervously.

"Wait and see."

He gulps.

Such a scaredy-cat I think to myself and raise the blade and it lights up. Like a cat, I move towards him. Making my steps carefully as I near him. Josh pulls out a simple dagger and lunges towards me. Thinking quickly I move myself to the side and he misses. He then tries to throw the dagger at me which I doge and its files into a tree trunk. Having lost his weapon his breath quickens. Sweat pads his forehead.

"So what are you gonna do now? Huh?" I laugh.

He grunts and tries to punch me in the face which he also misses and instead I slam the Alkura blade right into his hand. He screams from pain and blood gushes out of the cut like a waterfall. He holds onto his hand with his free hand and grunts.

"What have you done to me? You bitch," he says angrily.

I roll my eyes at him.

"I proved myself to you and I guess it worked," I say confidently. "I only did what you asked so don't complain."

He chuckles.

"You knew that I was only trying to get the best of you," he says with a smirk.

I shrug.

"Well, I have other things to do and way better than wasting my energy on you," I say coldly.

I turn on my heels and start heading towards the institute. I leave Josh to suffer his pain, after all, he's just a wasteful bitch. I knew that what I did was wrong but I didn't care. He deserved it.

"Avery!" yells a voice from behind.

I turn to see Ley running towards me.

"What is it?" I ask when she is beside me.

She takes a deep breath.

"Where have you been? You've been the talk of the school for the whole day. No one will shut up about it," she says worriedly.

I sigh.

"I have been minding my own business with The Midnighters. They've accepted me the way that I am. Plus it's almost time for lunch so I am quite hungry," I say trying to keep things quick and short.

Ley sighs.

"I am a Midnighter as well. I was scared to tell you," she says in a nervous voice.

I gape at her.

"Ley is that true?" I ask. "You were one of the Midnighters and you didn't think to tell me? I thought that I was the only one I never expected you to be one as well."

She pulls up her sleeve to reveal the Eye rune to prove herself and reaches into her pocket to reveal a Setra blade.

I smile at her.

"You wanna go to the institute?" I ask her.

Her face lights up and she nods.

We start to head back to the institute.