Chapter 6

Once I am out of the changing rooms Lana and the others are waiting for me.

"So, are you gonna attend the dinner tonight?" asks Ace.

I shake my head.

"I don't know. I am supposed to be in the school which is next to this institute," I say. "I am not sure I am gonna be welcome there at all. It feels like home here. I could bring my stuff here and leave the school."

Lana gives me begging eyes. I can't resist and nod my head in agreement.

"Okay I will stay but I will get my things," I say and all of them nod.

Lana comes closer and says, " Meet me on the second floor in my room. It's next to yours." With that, she leaves.

I walk towards the large doors and exit out. Cold air washes over my face.

In about 5 mins I am on the school grounds. I enter through the emergency entrance and find everyone gathered in the hall. All eyes turn to me.

"Avery, where have you been?" asks the woman standing in the center of a stage.

I clear my throat.

"I am one of the Midnighters," I say. "You have been wrong about them. They do not control dark magic and the moon. They kill demons and help protect the earth from destruction,"

The woman stares at me. I realize she is a teacher. Before she can speak I spot a figure coming in. Once it's in full view of who it is. It's Vander. He comes close to the stage and says.

"Avery is right. You fools haven't read the books properly. She can do what she wants. Clara don't dare speak against me," he says. "You can't expect her to want to learn from fools."

So Clara is the teacher who was speaking on the stage.

"I have no authority on telling her what to do and what not to do. We have spent years reading the books. They clearly state that Midnighters control dark magic and the moon," she says in a stern voice.

Vander laughs and I join him. Clara gives us a look.

"I honestly think that Vander is right," I say. "I encountered them firsthand. They are nothing like what you think. If you have something against that you should be disappointed about, then you can say it to me."

Clara sighs before speaking.

" Avery, before you leave I would like to tell you something," she says. " Vander is someone of hate and darkness. You should not start to automatically think that every word he says is going to be true. I know that we barely know anything about the Midnighters. But that is not going to change your decisions. What is going to change your decisions is what you chose to believe."

I nod and walk away when she gives a wave towards the exit of the room.

I am moving out of here.