Chapter 10

"See told you. I fucking swear you were kissing me back, Avery," Ace says with a chuckle.

My cheeks redden in embarrassment.

"Yes I was kissing you back but that was only because I was magically pulled into you," I say trying to make hide the obvious fact that I liked him back.

"You think that you can fool me, Avery?" he asks.

I sigh in defeat and let the words out.

"Ace, I like you. Ever since I laid my eyes on you the first time I couldn't even imagine you with me. I was confused and scared and every time I saw you I could barely speak."

His eyes sparkle like little lights and his face lights up.

"You mean it?"

I nod, turn on my heels, and walk away.

As I wander down back through the hallways passing through the same archways and windows.

"Avery!" a voice suddenly yells.

I stop and turn to see Lana running up to me.

"What's up?" I ask.

She catches her breath before saying, " You won't believe what just happened. The fourth chamber was opened again we need to get there as soon as possible."

I frown.

"What chamber?"

"In the HQ of Midnighters back in Aressall our main city. It's the most heavily guarded city and it's never happened before that someone got in without being detected. There are five chambers and each chamber holds some of the cities potions and spells books." Lana explains. "The spell books and potions are very rare and they were written by the most powerful found in the world of Midnighters."

I gasp.

"How much time do we have?"

Lana sighs.

"We don't know yet. Though the Congregation of Iron or COI which is the main congregation of the Midnighters wants us to find the items from the fourth chamber as soon as possible. Jordan told us that he wants us to just not get killed while doing it."

A knot rises in my throat I've forgotten about Josh.

"Um, Lana I have something to tell you," I say nervously.

She nods and gestures for me to go on.

"I made a bet with a guy that I would prove myself to him and I need your help to make sure that no one knows about it," I finish.

Her eyes widen.

"That Josh guy?" she asks.

I nod.

"You'd better be careful Avery, you haven't fought with anyone yet. I will try my best to keep this a secret between you and me," she says and reaches for her back to take out a long blade, unlike the Setra blade she gave me earlier. "And before you go, here is your Alkrua blade it will become very useful."

I nod and take the Alkura blade from her hands strap it to my back and make my way to the most dangerous thing I have ever done in my life.