Chapter 15

Recap:

I feel two hands, one placed on my arm and one on my shoulder and I know that it's Carli and Hope. I know that I will get through this with my family.

My eyes drift close as I lean more into Hailey and I feel my sister hold me up.

"Let's get you back in bed."

———

Present

Tatum's POV:

"Merry Christmas Eve!" Hailey says happily as she walks into my hospital room. I raise an eyebrow as she enters with a small Christmas tree and a box of mini ornaments with a candy cane in her hand.

"What are you doing?" I ask her confused. Hailey places the box on the table next to me and then hands me the candy cane.

"I am trying to bring up your holiday spirit," she tells me as she puts the tree in the corner of the room that's visible to my eyesight. "Ta da," Hailey says with joy and I smile softly at her.

"May I ask why?" I ask and her smile drops slightly at my question.

"Well, you know you can't go home," Hailey says softly and I nod, "So I am bringing Christmas to you." I smile at how sweet my cousin is being before placing the candy cane next to the box of ornaments.

I can't go home for a few days because it is protocol that I am watched over until I improve. Which means that I am definitely not spending Christmas at home and I will likely not be at home for New Years. Damn, I'm going to miss my bed.

"You didn't have to," I tell Hailey and she shrugs before kissing my forehead.

"Not only are you my baby cousin, but you're also my best friend. I have to take care of you," she says and I chuckle slightly, but stop as I feel a shooting pain in my abdomen. I groan and close my eyes and I feel Hailey place her hand on my arm.

"Fuck," I mutter as Hailey rubs my arm.

"I'm gonna go get you food so you can take your medicine," I nod with my eyes still close and she squeezes my arm gently. I keep my eyes close as the pain grows slightly. The door opens and I hear Hailey talking to someone before it closes.

"Hey, Tate," I hear a soft voice say to me. I open my eyes a little and smile as my eyes connect with Julie's.

"Hi," I respond and she smiles before walking over and pulling a chair up so she can sit by the bed.

I look over at her and smiles as she takes one of my hands in her's. "What time is your flight?" I ask.

Julie smiles and I look at her with a raised eyebrow. "Um, I am actually not going back home," she tells me and I look at her confused.

"What? What about your family?" I ask.

"I'm staying with you," Julie tells me and I smile.

"But you should go home. Be with your family," I tell her and she leans over and kisses me gently.

"You are my family too," Julie tells me quietly when she pulls. My eyes water softly at her words and I sit up slightly. I lean to her slowly before bringing her into my arms.

"I love you," I tell her and she nuzzles her face in my shoulder.

"I love you too," she tells me.

The door then opens quickly and I am about to jump away from Julie, but she holds me gently so I don't hurt myself. "Easy," she whispers and I smile as she let's go and I see Hope looking at me with a raised eyebrow.