Chapter 2

Mara was rushing all around the Madrigal home; by this time everyone had woken up and the house was bustling with life. Mrs Julieta had dismissed her from the kitchen earlier, claiming " She should relax a bit."

Mara couldn't relax. She liked doing things, being helpful.
But Mirabel's singing was becoming a distraction.
"Mira, I know you're all excited about Antonio's ceremony, but can you keep it down?"
Mirabel turned around and grinned.
"How can I? I'm just so happy for my primo, Mara. I know you are tooo." She teased, wiggling her eyebrows and grabbing Mara by the hand to dance.
"Mirabel! Stop it!" Mara protested, but found herself laughing.
They both danced in sync, laughing and tripping over themselves.
"MARA!"
A stern voice yelled from above. Mara knew that voice all too well.

It was Abuela Alma.

"What are you doing? Get up here and send these special invitations to Mariano's family. Mirabel, stop being a distraction."
Mirabel hung her head.
"Sorry, Abuela."Mara wanted to comfort her, but knew only trouble would await her if she tried. Giving her one last sorry look, Mara ran up the stairs, took the letters from Abuela and ran out into the vibrant village Encanto.

***

"Right, so I just have to go down this path?" Mara muttered to herself, as she tried to find her way to Mariano's house (according to Fish Lady's directions).
"Mierda, I never find it at this ra-"
A hot white pain suddenly invaded Mara's head.
She started to fall and her vision blurred. A far off voice called out to her.

Oh no. Not again.The pain engulfed her, cutting off all her other senses.
Mara eyes  rolled back and she passed out.
                                                       ***

No,no,no. I can't have this vision. Not again. Not today.
The tall, gaunt  man with dark skin and a red cloak that covered his eyes appeared in front of her. She was unable to move, paralyzed by either pure terror or whatever power this being possessed.

He smiled  and repeated the same thing he said every other time this happened.
"Release it. Save the casita. It gave this to you for a reason."
Mara tried to scream.

Then he disappeared as quickly as he came, leaving her in the dark void.
                                                  ***
"I knew she was overworking herself. These empanadas will make Mara feel as right as rain."
Mara opened her eyes slowly, recognizing the voice of Senora Julieta, more soothing and motherly than anyone else's.
"Where am I-"
An empanada was shoved down Mara's throat, silencing her instantly.
"Eat. Luisa found you on the ground out in the market. What happened?"
Mara chewed slowly, so as to put off telling Julieta the answer.
"Deja de estancarte." (Stop stalling).
Mara saw how serious she was and swallowed. Sighing, Julieta said this:
"I know you well. You dance and sing with my Mirabel, you help with almost everything around the house. And you're a delight to be around, but, Mara, something is troubling you. What is it?"
Mara turned to the other side of the bed she know knew was Mirabel's.
"Mara. Please. You know you can talk to me. You're a like daughter to me."
Mara so wanted to turn around, to spill everything about the recurring nightmare that had been giving her some sleepless nights and was now creeping into daytime.
She wished, but, she didn't want to end up like Bruno.
Shunned from society and  forced to run away.

But she knew something the others didn't.

"Mara. "
Still, she remained silent and turned away.
"Fine. You can come to me later. You know you always can."
Julieta rubbed her shoulder,stood up and left the room.
Tears streamed down Mara's face, silent tears.
The nursery's door burst open.
Mara whirled around, only to be hit by an oncoming Mira-hug.
"I heard you fainted at the the market! I'm so sorryishouldhavecomewithyouiwasbusyentertainingthetownkidsanddolorestoldthemididnthaveagiftand-"
" It's ok, Mirabel, I'm fine." Mara said, giggling.
Mirabel withdrew from the hug and grinned.
Mara noticed there was a gift basket in the corner of the room.
"Hey,where'd you get that fro-"
"My godfather from town gave it to me, talking about how I had no gift, so I could get this gift basket."
"Idiot." Mara said.
"Yeah...." Mirabel muttered, looking down.
"Hey." Mara said, lifting Mirabel's face with her hands.
"You are the most colorful, creative and beautiful girl I know. Don't let the townsfolk, Abuela or Isabela tell you otherwise. You hear?"
Mirabel grinned and hugged Mara again.
"Yeah, I heard ya." She whispered, still smiling.
"Anyway, I need to recover from one of Isabela's Senorita Perfecta performances from earlier by grabbing some arepas from the kitchen. You up to join me?" Mirabel said, a mischievous grin spreading across her face.
"Duh." Mara agreed, getting out the bed.
"Great. See ya there!" Mirabel rushed out the room, grabbing the gift basket on her way.
Mara laughed to herself, and slipped her sandals on her feet, taking one last look in the mirror before she left.
She gave a small yelp, one similar to Dolores,  the type that you make when you hear gossip or saw something you weren't supposed  to.

Mara saw something horrifying.

Her eyes were glowing red, and so were her hands.