A Book And A Candle

Once upon a time, there were two girls.
One was called Xiomara and one Alma.
These girls were the best of friends.
They dreamed together, they played together and they cried together.
They had a book that they wrote both of their innermost feelings in, and Xiomara kept the book so they look over it from time to time, and they would laugh under the candlelight.

The girls thought they would never separate, ever.
But like all things, this changed.

Alma fell in love, and she left Xiomara to fend for herself.
Despite all this, Xiomara still loved Alma, and sought out to visit her one night.

On her way there, through the dark alley, she was met with a man, a man who had his eye on her for a while.
He approached her with romantic intentions, that he was so sure that she would accept.

She did not.

Upon hearing this, the man flew into a blind rage, and did horrible things to Xiomara, right there in that alleyway.
Things that led Xiomara to be with child.

She was the laughingstock of the town, she suffered so much humiliation, and yet Alma never noticed. She was so in love with Pedro, that she wasn't aware of what was happening to Xio.

But Xiomara still loved her friend, and cherished her with all her heart.

One night, Xiomara gave birth, with only the assistance of an old midwife that was half-blind.
The labour was long and hard, with no one else there, and her screams echoed through the silent night.
Despite this, the baby came out healthy and happy.
It was a little boy.

Xiomara held him close and kissed his little forehead over and over again, and cradled him gently and never let go.

Only a few nights later, the tragedy began.

The town was struck with violent soldiers, setting fire to homes and shops all over town.
Xiomara knew her baby and herself would not be safe there, and attempted to flee with the rest of the town, her only luggage the book from her and Alma's childhood.

In the chaos, she spotted Pedro and Alma, with their triplets, and made an attempt to reach them.

When she did, Alma saw her, and was shocked at the sight of her baby. Before she could speak, Xiomara started.

"Alma, please, take care of my baby. I have a feeling I have not much time."
She pushed her baby into Alma's arms, nearly making her topple over with the weight of four children.
"And take the book."
She knelt down and placed their book at Alma's feet.
"Alma, try and get out of here. I can make a distraction so you and Pedro can leave."

"Xio, no-"
All of a sudden Xiomara jerked went still, a tear rolling down her cheek.
Blood dripped from her mouth, trickling onto her red dress.
"Make a good home for him."
An arrow had been shot through her chest.
She dropped to the ground, with a sickening thud.
Alma screamed.
The men on horses still approaching,  Pedro tried to get Alma away, away from her best friend's body, before running off to stop their pursuers.

He was slaughtered ruthlessly, in front  of Alma, leaving her alone with four babies in her arms.
Alma fell to the floor, dropping the candle on the book that was left behind, and causing it to burst into flames.

Alma paid no mind to this, for she was too busy crying to even acknowledge the miracle happening in front of her.

The flames that had engulfed the book... were a very deep red. A red that was too unnatural to be fire.

The flame grew and grew, until it served as a shield against their pursuers.
Finally, the candle blew the attackers back, and mountains rose around the community, protecting them, creating a safe haven..... creating Encanto.

The book continued to burn but never turned to ash, and the candle created a magical house for Alma. It created a miracle.

Alma never told anyone about the book's part in this story, hiding it from everyone, giving Xiomara's baby to a barren couple, trying her best to forget about her friend, the friend who loved her despite everything, the friend who's spirit was not at rest.

The friend that helped to create the miracle.

But no secret stays buried.
That book was going to be found eventually.

And more sooner than later.