Chapter 11: The Chapter Before the Truth is Told.

Mara ran through bushes and pushed tree branches out of her face, trying to figure out where Mirabel was.

Suddenly, she tripped over a rock, landing hard on the cold soil.
She stood up slowly, spitting a twig out of her mouth when she spotted a piece of pink thread hanging loosely from a nearby branch.

Mirabel.

She followed the secret path behind the twig, and found Mirabel skipping stones across the water.

"Mira."
She stopped skipping them when she heard Mara's voice, shoulders shaking.

She was crying.

"Mara, leave me alone. Abuela was right. I am a curse to this family."
Do you remember what I said to you one day ago?

Mirabel sniffled.

"That you're the most colourful, brightest and creative girl I've ever met. Don't ever think you're the cause of something you know you didn't do."

Mirabel's tears were flowing freely now, and she ran into Mara's arms.

The snap of a twig was heard behind them.

They both turned around to see Abuela, standing there quietly.
"Stay away."
Mara said threateningly.
"Please. I have to tell you something. "
"We don't want to hear-"
Mirabel spoke up.
"What is it?"

Abuela sighed, and sat on the ground next to the lake.
The two girls sat down on each side of Abuela.

"I've never been able to come back here. This place...is where we were given our miracle. The candle," she looked at Mirabel,"-and the book," she looked at Mara, "-created our Encanto."

"Is this where Abuelo Pedro....?"
Mirabel didn't finish the question, waiting for an answer.
"And Xiomara....?"
Mara asked quietly.
Abuela didn't answer,
Abuela
"I thought we would have a different life. I thought I would be a different woman."