Chapter 3

Authors Note:
Hey there! Just a little thanks to those who have been reading so far, I really love that atleast some people like my writing :)if you can, please spread the word about this story to your friends, if you think they'll be interested.
On with the story (And have a great day).

****

"What the hell?!" Mara whispered as she looked down at her hands, which were glowing.
Glowing red.
Mirabel popped her head back around the door.
"Mara, you coming or-"
Mirabel saw her hands. Eyes widening, she took cautiously took a step forward, taking the glowing hands into hers.
"W-what's going on, Mara? What is this?" Mirabel stuttered.
"I don't know. I'm as oblivious to this as you are!"
They both looked up from the hands, and at eachother, both confused and afraid. Suddenly Mirabel spoke up.
"Look, we can go to Abuela, she can-"
"No! I can't. What if I'm seen as a bad omen? Red glowing eyes and hands from the Madrigal househelp? People will make absurd theories and I'll be removed from here and never see you again! Abuela will do anything to upkeep the family name."
Mirabel knew this was true. She sat down on the bed, putting her face into her hands.
"What are we gonna do-"
The door was thrust open.
Abuela was in the doorway, a stern look written all over her face. She looked at Mirabel , (who had stood up in her presence), and looked over to Mara.
"Mara, Mirabel, have any of you seen Antonio?"
Mara's hands were behind her back and her face looking down.
"No, Abuela."
"Nope. Haven't seen him." Mirabel said quietly.
"Well. If you do, tell him it's almost time and bring hime to me immediately. Mara. Change out of those clothes and wear something acceptable. I exxpect to see you both at the ceremony later." She turned around and walked out.

As soon as Abuela was out of sight, Mirabel ran over to the door and slammed it shut.
Then, she looked over to Mara and pointed to under the bed, mouthing that Antonio was there.
Mara smiled and said,
"Oh, I hope no-one heard all the spooky stuff we were just talking about, it would be terrible. Especially if it was a little boy named Antonio. I'd be absolutely mortified."
A giggle escaped from under the bed.
Mirabel smirked and joined in.
"It would be bad, 'cause he can't keep a secret, like his sister."
Antonio's popped out from under the bed.
"I can too!" He said.
"Gotcha!" Mirabel yelled, grabbing Antonio and tickling him.
"Now, you've got keep this one to yourself, Antonio. No one can know, ok?" Mara whispered.
Antonio nodded, a large grin on his face.
"Great."
***
Mara had left Mirabel and Antonio in the room alone, she thought they would need some alone time since they were close, much closer than she was to him.

She had changed her clothes, (due to Abuela's command), and her eyes and hands had stopped glowing.

She was still trying to find a good explanation for that.

Upon passing Abuela's room, she heard...

Sobbing.

"What?" She whispered to herself.

Curiosity overtaking her, Mara decided to pull a Dolores move and press her ear against Abuela's door.

Abuela 's voice was muffled, but Mara could still make out a few words.

"Oh Dios, how will I manage the casita without you, Pedro?"

Pedro? Oh, Abuela's deceased husband! She's still in mourning?
Mara heard this next;
"The miracle, it's not sur-"

"Mara, tú chismes, what are you up to?"
"Ah!!"
Mara yelled, whirling around just to be face to face with; you guessed it, Camilo.

"Aren't you supposed to be looking for Antonio?" He said, smirking.
"Yeah! Of course I was, idiota, I'm just... uh..."
"Eavesdropping?"
"N-no! Just.... I'm just waiting for Abuela to, uh... come out and...get the candle ready!"
"I know when you're lying, Mara."
"Whatever. It's not your business."
"Neither was whatever you were listening to."
"I-"
Dolores suddenly popped out of nowhere.
"Camilo. We found Antonio. Come on."
She looked over to Mara, and winked.
"Fine."
Then, looking back to Mara, said:
"We'll talk later, chica."
He sauntered away, Dolores leading him along.
Mara breathed a sigh of relief.
****