Marià

6 years earlier

"Marià, do you have to go? Please don't go!"
Mara tugged at the hem of her older sister's skirt as she pleaded.
"Mara, let go."
"Don't leave me with Mama and Papa! Please!"
Marià blinked back tears and adjusted her glasses as she looked away from her little sister's big eyes.
"Quit it, Mara. I have to go to the city to take care of our Abuela. She's sick."
"I can help! I know how to clean stuff! Let me go with you!Marià sighed and started to walk away, luggage bag held in one hand.
"You're only 9, Mara. Go and play with your friends. I'll be back before you know it."

They were in the town square now.
Mara kept following her sister, almost tripping over three times on her way.

Mara's lip started to quiver, and tears filled her big eyes .
Tugging on her sister's skirt, she cried:
"Please, please don't go! I'll give you all my arepas, I'll do anyth-"
"MARA, I SAID LET GO!"
At the last word, Marià shoved Mara to the ground, causing her to sprain her knee. Her face was covered in dust, and the dust mixed with her tears.

Marià looked at her hands and then at her sister, shocked at what she had done.

"I'm sorry. I have to go."

Then she ran off, leaving Mara on the floor, curled up in a ball, sobbing.

"Mara? What are you doing down there?"
It was Abuela Alma, standing over her, looking concerned.
Still sobbing she said:
"My sister.. she left."
Abuela sighed and picked her up gently.
"Come. I will prepare some arepas for you."

Mara didn't say anything, she only sobbed into Abuela's chest as she carried her to the Madrigal home.

                                               ****

Marià looked out of the train window, glancing back at Encanto for the last time.
Then she opened her bag, pulling out a messy drawing Mara had made for her long ago.
They were stick figures of herself and her sister, and of their parents.
Their parent's faces were scribbled out.
Marià started to cry then, her tears falling onto the paper and dampening the crayon.