Chapter 5

Hello Readers! I noticed my read count has been going down lately, if you would like to see anything in the story, please let me know in the comments! And don't forget to follow and vote :)
On with the story!

Mara was sitting on the floor mattress in the nursery, with her nightwear on and Mirabel snoring not that far from her.

What did that vision mean?

She sighed and flopped onto the mattress, staring at the ceiling. It was really late, she could tell, because when she snuck back in, the celebrations were over and the house silent.
She still couldn't shake that vision from her mind. It plagued her, and she kept turning it over in her head.
No mind, she thought. Tomorrow there would be the special lunch, and Abuela would probably bring up Mariano's family, the Guzmans. She could try to discuss this with Bruno later.
Slowly closing her eyes, Mara drifted into the dark empty space that was sleep.

***

Mara woke up in.... rubble. She heard distant, worried and frantic chatter. Dust clouded her vision, making things barely visible for a few minutes, before Mara shakily stood up and tried to register her surroundings.
What was this place? And why had it collapsed?
"This is your fault. Mirabel ran away because of your... curse."
Mara whirled around to see Abuela scolding.... Mara?
She stared at herself from afar, and could see her dirty face and ripped dress.

She could also see her own tears.

Is this.. the casita? What would become of it? What would become of her?

She looked back to herself, now unable to make out what she was saying. Mara seemed to be shouting now, eyes glowing red like this afternoon. She would've seen more, if a bony hand hadn't grabbed her shoulder from behind. Turning around, she was met with the same gaunt man from her dream earlier today.

"When willl you see? They are not the only family with gifts."
The figure whispered in a raspy voice.
"What? Who are you?!"
"I am what is troubling you, your innermost secret, the glowing in your eyes."
He leaned closer and whispered into her ear.
"I am the feelings you hide."
He stood back .
"The sooner you let me out, the better I look. The better for everyone."
"What are you talking about?"
Mara felt herself slowly fading from the dream, but she needed answers.
"The answer is right in front of you, darling."
Then all faded to black.
***
Mara sat up, breathing heavily and breaking into a cold sweat.
"Good mornin', sunshine!" Mirabel chirped, still putting on her clothes.
Then, seeing Mara's expression, noticed something was wrong.
"Hey? What happened? Nightm-"
"Nothing! I'm A-OK!"
Mara yelled this all of a sudden, a forced smile creeping onto her face.
"Okay...?" Mirabel turned back to the wardrobe, humming a tune.
It was then that Mara remembered that Mirabel was mentioned in her dream. So, eventually, she would have to know about it. Just not now.

Mirabel spoke up.
"So, you ready for the special lunch later on today? I overheard my mom and Abuela talking about a potential proposal from the Guzmans to Isabela. Bleh."
Mara laughed.
"Good riddance. They're a perfect match for each other, their perfection perfectly equalized."
Mara said, snickering.
"You do realise you had to say perfect like three times just talikng about Isabela?" Mirabel said, laughing.

Isabela and Mara used to be good friends, Isabela being Mara's role model. But, upon realising she needed to be as perfect as can be, she dropped Mara and her sister, Mirabel.

Mara misses the old her, the one she looked up to. But she knew that girl was gone.

To be married and probably have five babies.