Chapter 2

I was simply sleeping peacefully when I was awoken by the feeling of my gift fading.

I jerked up, startled and panicked. I gripped at my chest, the dysphoria pooling in my stomach but I wasn't paying attention to that.

I thrust my hand out in front of me, my powers grasping at the first thing I felt and throwing it in the air.

It came falling down and I caught it, bringing it over to me. I let out my breath of relief. I shook my head and got up, throwing on my binder and poking my head out of the door to see if it was still going on.

Luckily, it seemed to have ended so I got up and headed toward the newest addition of the doors. I knocked my rhythm and opened the door.

I stared in awe at what was in front of me. A whole freaking jungle!

"Mateo!" Antonio's voice yelled with excitement.

A leopard came bouncing down with Antonio on his back. My eyes widened in a bit of unease at the giant animal Antonio was currently on.

He dismounted and gave me a giant hug. I picked him up and squeezed him.

I then put him down and crouch to his level, looking to the animals all crowding him and the leopard that was still standing beside him.

"So, does your gift have anything to do with animals?" I ask, stating the obvious.

He nods rapidly, "Yeah. I can speak to animals Mateo! Isn't that amazing?"

"It really is buddy. This is definitely something cool," I say, referring back to our old conversation.

"It is! But I'm sad I have to leave Mirabel," he says with a downcast expression.

I put my fingers under his chin and lift his face up so his eyes meet mine.

"I know it might seem like you're leaving her but I'm sure she's really happy for you."

"Yeah, I'm sure you're right," he says.

"I always am. Now get some rest, you'll be tired in the morning," I say, ruffling his hair and standing up.

"Ok. Goodnight Mateo," he says, climbing back on his leopard.

"Goodnight Toni," I kiss his forehead before letting him leave, turning back to go to my room for the night.

*Time Skip*

The next morning we were all expected to be at the outside table for breakfast. So I grabbed a plate and quickly filled it up, and sticking a pincho de tortilla in my mouth.

"only one worried about the magic is you and the rats talking in the walls. Oh, and Luisa and Mateo. I heard Luisa's eye twitching all night. And Mateo awoke with a panic," I hear Dolores whisper to Mirabel with a little squeak.

I walk over to Mirabel as she's filling her plate.

"So you noticed it too," I said, startling her.

"Oh, Mateo. Yeah, there were cracks in Casita last night," she tells me. "I'm pretty sure Luisa knows something."

"I woke up last night with the feeling of my gift fading but I could still easily lift things. It's weird," I say as we both walk over to the table.

She quickly steals Pepa's seat beside Luisa and I take my regular seat beside Camilo and Isabella.

"Family. We are all grateful for Antonio's wonderful new gift," Abuela says, having to push some animals away that Antonio placed there for her.

I could see Mirabel talking to Luisa about the magic but ends up getting pulled away by Abuela and placed beside her to avoid any more interruptions.

"As I was saying," she continues but at this point, I've already stopped listening and dug into to Tia Julieta's delicious food.

Abuela comes beside us and talks about Mariano's proposal to Isa. Although she hates it, she goes along with it for the family.

She continues talking about it, picking an imperfect flower off of her hair and then continuing on.

Camilo leans over me, pushing me out of the way as he transforms into Mariano and makes kissy faces at Isa. She hits him with his flowers, making him turn back to normal.

The flowers fall over my lap as I laugh. I finish up my food and mutter 'la familia madrigal' in unison to the others as I get up.

Mirabel goes after Luisa to no doubt interrogate her about the magic while I head back to my room to avoid the family and wait for Mirabel's findings.