Chapter 11

I didn't know what was happening to begin with.

These cracks started to form in the walls, the floors and the ceiling.

I sprung up and looked around my room with worry. What was happening to Casita? I thought Mirabel saved the miracle.

My head was pounding but I tried to pay no attention to it, the mist flowing freely from my hands hands.

Then, the tiles under me were moving me toward the door, Casita telling me to get the hell out. But as I reached the door, it wouldn't open.

No matter how hard I tried to push on it, it was stuck. I was stuck.

"Help! Anyone help!" I called out to however may be around. "Isa! Camilo! Mirabel, anyone!"

I kept pounding on the door but something was blocking it so there was no way it could open.

Still filled with determination and desperation, I flung my hands out to my bed, lifting it up and going to throw it at the door.

But it stopped mid air, dropping to the ground. I stared at it for a good moment.

I tried to lift up something smaller like a lamp but it only lifted a little before dropping. My gift was nearly gone.

I was stuck in a crashing house with no way out and nothing to protect myself with. It was hopeless.

And yet, as the ceiling came crashing down, I tried to hold up the pieces as the fell, one by one but it gave out, all coming down straight for me.

Casita did everything it could to cover me but it wasn't enough. With no gift, I was done for.

It all came falling down on me, with very little to protect myself with. I would be surprised if I made it till morning.

Bruno's POV
As I skillfully dodged through the walls, grabbing my rats as I go, I couldn't help but think of my family.

Were they safe? Did everyone make it out? What happened?

I grabbed the bucket and crashed through the wall, landing on the ground. I spot Mirabel on the roof trying to get the candle and give her a thumbs up.

I spot the rest of my family out in the front, watching Mirabel with probably nothing but worry. I look for each of them, reassuring Mateo is with them.

Camilo, Dolores, Luisa, Mirabel is on the roof, Isabella, Antonio, Pepa and Felix, Abuela, Julieta and Agustin. No Mateo.

I run around the entire house, searching for his room. 'No no no no no no' I thought to myself.

I found it already crushed, all of it ruin. I try to move away all the pieces but ultimately fail.

Instead they fall away, reveling the little cocoon Casita made for him. There he lay, unconscious with tons of wounds.

"No no no no no no no," I mutter. "This can't be happening. It wasn't supposed to come true like this."

I gently pick him up and dust him off, bringing him out of the ruin and into the forest.

I panic, trying to think of what to do next. I need to get someone but I'm not going anywhere near them yet.

I continued to fret over him, covering his wounds with certain leaves that wouldn't hurt him, getting him comfortable for when he wakes up.

Footsteps alert me into a standing position, keeping my son covered and ready to protect him at all costs.

"Don't worry, it's just me Tio Bruno," Dolores voice said.

I relax as she comes into view.

"How did you find me. We all lost our gifts?" I ask.

"I went searching for Mateo after he didn't appear and I followed your footsteps and the trail of blood from his wounds here," she says.

"Where's Mateo?" She asks with concern.

"Here. I recovered him from the wreckage. Is there anything you can do," we both crouch down next to and Dolores pulls a vial out of her dress.

"Some of the last of Tia Julieta's healing things," she states while pouring it in his mouth, all his wounds healing up nicely.

His eyes slowly open, blinking to clear everything up. I crouch beside him, taking his hand in mine.

"Papa?" He rasps.

"It's me, Teo. It's me. I'm here," I reassure, squeezing his hands.

"Here. Let me help you sit up," Dolores offers, helping him sit up against the tree.

"Dolores? What happened? Where's Mirabel? Is she okay?" Mateo rushes out in one breath, only stopping when I squeeze his hand again, smiling at him.

"Yes, it's me. The candle started going out and the magic was dying. Mirabel tried to save it but was too late. Everyone got out safe and Mirabel is no where to be found," Dolores explains.

"Well we have to go look for her!" He says, abruptly trying to get up, but flinches back, grabbing his leg.

"Whoa whoa whoa. You can't get up now, you're still injured yourself," I tell him, pushing him back down.

"I'm fine. I need to make sure Mira's ok," he says, dissing his own health even though he's clearly in pain.

"I'll go search for her and come back when I have something. But for now, just try to get better, okay primo," Dolores compromises, getting up and leaving.

We wave bye and I turn back to Mateo, to be attacked by a hug, nearly pushing me down.

"I was so worried," he says quietly. I hug him back.

"If you were worried imagine how I was when I saw you there just like my vision. I was terrified," I say honestly. He pulls back with a look on his face.

"Wait! I think I might know where Mira might be," he says with a light in his eyes.

"Where?"

"The place we got our miracle," he says with a smile. I smile with him.

"How are we going to get there?" I ask. He thinks about it for a hot second.

"A horse. We need a horse," he says easily, "and I need your help to get up."