•tape thirty-four•

"Hi, Mom," I say, walking into my parents' apartment with Bucky awkwardly walking in behind me.

My mom is wrapping her arms around me a second later, squeezing me just as tight as I squeeze her. Dad comes over to me next, wrapping both of us and whispering, "My girls."

We pull away from each other, and Dad is the first one to notice Bucky as he closes the door. "Oh?" Dad says, turning to me. He points between Bucky and me.

I nod and step back, standing next to Bucky. He glances at me awkwardly. He said he would come inside, okay? I didn't make him.

Dad steps towards him. "Now, mister, what do you—"

"Wade," Mom says, moving him to the side while giving him a look. She smiles and turns to Bucky, and I can sense the relief on him momentarily before Mom takes a step towards him. "What do you want with my daughter?"

"Uh—I'm—Well—It's—"

"Jesus," I mumble. "Where's Gran?"

Wanda stands on my right while Bucky stands on my left. He has one hand shoved in his pocket and the other around my shoulder. He moves his head and kisses my temple. Sam comes over to him and pats his shoulder, and we watch the lake.

"Remember," Bruce says, opening the case with the Infinity Stones inside, "you have to return the stones to the exact moment that you got them or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce," Cap says, closing the case. "Clip all the branches."

Cap walks over to Bucky and me. "Don't do anything stupid until I get back," Cap tells him.

Bucky chuckles and smiles, shaking his head. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

He walks forward, and they hug each other. I cross my arms tight over my chest, and they step away from each other.

"Gonna miss you, buddy," Bucky tells him.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck," Cap says. He turns to me, stepping towards me. I uncross my arms and hug him tightly. "I'm sorry, Cher."

"You better be, asshole," I mumble, then sigh and release him. I shove his shoulder lightly and offer him a smile.

He walks up onto the platform and clicks his wrist, then his time travel suit comes on.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asks.

"For him, as long as he needs," Bruce says, clicking buttons. "For us, five seconds." Cap turns to the three of us and picks up Thor's hammer. "You ready, Cap?" Cap nods. "All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet," Cap says, his helmet appearing on his head.

"Going quantum in three, two, one." He goes down the platform and disappears. "And returning in five, four, three, two, one."

Nothing happens. Bruce looks at his computer and starts flipping switches. "Where is he?" Sam asks.

"I don't know," Bruce says. "He blew right by his time stamp. He should be here."

Bucky turns and starts walking away, then he stops.

"Get him back," Sam says.

"I'm trying."

"Get him the hell back."

"Hey, I said I'm trying."

"Guys."

Sam and I turn to Bucky and glance at each other before we walk over to Bucky. We see someone sitting on a bench looking out onto the lake. The three of us share a glance before we start walking towards the bench.

We stop a little ways away from the man, who I know is Cap right away. "Go ahead," Bucky tells Sam. Sam looks at Bucky, who turns to him and smiles. Sam looks back at Cap and starts walking towards him.

Buck sighs and grabs my hand, squeezing it. I squeeze his hand back, glancing at him while he watches Cap.

Cap moves something to the other side of the bench and opens it. "Try it on," Cap tells him. Sam smiles at him, then furrows his brows.

Sam glances back at us, and Bucky nods to him. Sam turns back and picks up the shield, slowly trying it on his arm.

"How does it feel?" Cap asks.

"Like it's someone else's."

"It isn't."

I put my head on Buck's shoulder. He turns his head to kiss my head, then turns back and leans his face on my head.

"Thank you. I'll do my best," Sam says. Him and Cap shake hands, and Cap puts his hand on Sam's, patting it.

"That's why it's yours," Cap says, and I notice the ring.

"You wanna tell me about her?" Sam asks, nodding to the ring.

Cap pauses as they pull their hands away from each other. "No," he says. "No, I don't think I will."

End of Side D