The Librarian and the Cartographer

-Cario, Egypt - 1926 AD-

A young woman hummed softly as she balanced on a ladder that leaned on the bookshelf in front of her. The whole place was littered with books all neatly tucked away in towering bookshelves that towered over everyone who walked by. She talked to herself as she worked on sorting out the books. 

"Hmm now where- ah! Tuthmosis? .... Now how did you get up here?" she chuckled and looked around the section she was at, looking for the T section she couldn't find it until she turned and saw it across the way behind her on the other bookshelf. Her face lightened up when she saw it and then struggled a bit to figure out a way to get the book to its proper home. She then had the bright idea to lean over and stretch to get it to the other bookshelf. 

Alas, it only caused her to move the ladder, jolting her into the middle of the aisle as she balanced on the ladder like a pair of stilts. She squealed handheld tight. She whimpered and looked around;

"Help!" she yelled meekly and tried to gently lean it down against the bookcase, not wanting to fall. The ladder slammed against the bookcase and caused it to tip over! She gasped and balanced as much as she could. Losing her grip she slid down the ladder clumsily and watched as the bookcases fell over like a domino effect. Each thump made her wince and she groaned covering her eyes. Not wanting to look at the horrible mess she made. Her curly brown hair almost escaped from her bun and her round glasses crooked on her small face. She fixed her glasses and jumped when she heard a loud gasp of horror come from her boss. 

"Oops.." she muttered. And he gave her a look. Raising his arms as he walked over to her, much like an angry bird would raise its wings when angered.

"Look at this! Sons of the Messiah! Give me frogs, flies, locusts, but this! Compared to you, they were a joy! " He yelled and his face practically turned red. The young girl hurriedly picked up some books around her.

 "I'm so sorry it was an accident!" she said and he simply laughed at that.

 "My dear, When Rameses destroyed Syria, it was an accident. You are a catastrophe! Why do I put up with you?" he asked and she straightened up at that question, ready to answer.

 "Well, um you put up with me-" she was cut off by another voice. "She can read and write Egyptian, hieroglyphics, and hieratic, and she is the only person in a thousand miles  who knows  how to properly code and catalog  this library." Both looked at where the voice came from and it was none other than the young Librarian's sister. 

"Rose!" she smiled happily and scurried over to her, enveloping her in a hug. Rose wrapped her arms around her little sister and smiled. 

"Evie! what on earth happened here?" she asks, looking around at the chaos the museum was in. The Curator scoffed and walked over to the two. "What happened was your clumsy sister knocked over everything like a domino set! And also Who needs smart women? I put up with you because your father and mother were our greatest patrons, Allah rest souls. Now I don't care how but make sure you clean up this mess!" he huffed and left the room. Rose watched him leave and shook her head 

"...that was quite rude," she said and Evie shrugged. "It was my fault anyway." She looked defeated at the books in her arms. "Hey, it was an accident, and plus he is just an idiot. What would he know? Now come on, I'll help you clean up" Rose said and bent down to pick up some books. 

"Thanks, Rosie, by the way, what brings you back to Cairo? I thought you were mapping out some part of Egypt right now." Evelyn asked and Rose sighed. 

"Ehh well we were but then we were attacked by this gang of men, they were strange, acting as if they were guarding something, or...eh well after the attack my boss told me to come back and think of a new way to map the area out," she explained as she set the books on a table. Evie looked concerned. 

"Attacked!? My god Rose you could have gotten hurt!" Rose rolled her eyes when her back was turned. she was always saying that. Rose was quite aware of how dangerous it could be but she didn't need a lecture every time something happened. 

"I know I know, but I know how to fight and take care of myself and I'll have you know I didn't get hurt at all. You should have seen the other guy" she joked. Causing Evie to shake her head at her. 

"You know stuff like that worries me. Please promise me you won't go somewhere dangerous like there again..please?" She looked at Rosie to make sure she was paying attention. Rose looked back moving her brown lock out of her eyes, "sure yeah whatever you say mum" she chuckled and stuck her tongue out. 

"You know I thought I was supposed to be the older sibling not you" she added and Evie scoffed, sorting the books. "Not with how you behave half the time, going off and exploring who knows where and getting into fights'' she muttered and Rosie hugged her. 

"look I'm sorry I will be more careful I promise," she said and Evie hugged back "oh alright...it's good to have you back though Rosie I missed you'' she said. "I missed you too" Rosie pulled away and smiled. Suddenly there was a bang. Causing Evie to jump. Rosie looked at where it was coming from and walked over and down the hall with Evie in toe behind her.

 "Hello?" Evie asked, cowering behind her sister. Gripping the back of her shirt. The sounds of shuffling were heard in a nearby Exhibit and they entered it. Seeing nothing but mummies and artifacts. "Abdul... Muhamad.." Evie called out "Bob?", Rosie made a face and looked back at her sister 

"who's Bob?" Suddenly the mummy next to them sprang forward causing them to scream. It was none other than their prankster brother Jonathan, sitting in the sarcophagus laughing his ass off. Evie scooted closer and smacked him.

"That was not funny!!" she said and glared at him. Jonathan chuckled, scrambling out of the coffin and Evy snatched the Cigarette that was hanging out of its mouth. 

"Have you no respect for the dead!" she scolded. Rosie crossed her arms and shook her head 

"Jeez, big brother what an original, half drunk and surprisingly not carrying anything stolen," Rosie said. Johnathan gave an uneasy look but brushed it off joking again. 

"Well Right now, I only wish to join them!" He said and smirked. Evie smacked him again and he winced. She fussed about the corpse that sat now mangled in the open sarcophagus that Jonathan had disturbed.  

"Well I wish you'd do it sooner than later, you'll ruin my career the way you've yours." she said and Rosie winced, "ouch.." she muttered and helped Evie put the mummy back properly. John sighed and shook his head.

"My dear, sweet, baby sisters, I'll have you know, that my career is on a high note," he claimed, and Rosie did not believe it. And nor did Evie. They looked at each other and then at him with nothing but doubt on their faces. John Burped and lost his footing, Rosie reached over quickly and helped steady him. Making a face when she smelt the alcohol on him.

"High note? Ha! For five years you've been scrounging Egypt, and what have you to show for it? Nothing." Evie says as she walks over to the two of them. Jonathan suddenly had a look in his eye, one that Rosie had not seen since he had first started digging. He searched through his pockets and pulled something out.

 "oh yes, I do! I have it here!" he exclaimed and had a dumb-looking smile on his face.

 "I bet it's one of those little trinkets he brings back all the time, what was it last, a fork? Oo or what about the broken spoon he brought back last time Evie?" Rosie said and chuckled. Jonathan glared at his younger sister and handed out the object.

 "Come on Evie just take a look" Evie sighed and grabbed the trinket he had supposedly found. It was a small box, with ancient writing on the sides of it. Rosie looked at it and felt uneasy. Evie on the other hand looked like a kid in a candy store. 

"Where did you get this?"She asked and Jonathan smirked, "on a dig down in Thebes, come on tell me I actually found something this time Eves." He asked and leaned on her. She fiddled with it and the box suddenly unfolded into a star shape, and sitting in the center was a piece of gold Papyrus. All three looked in wonder and Evy exhaled 

"Jonathan?... I think you found something" she said and Jonathan jumped for joy.