CH-19 BIASED TEAMATE...

“Abhimanyu, why are you here by yourself?” He turned when he heard his mother.
He was in the dark corner of the balcony off of the living space looking down into the backyard where a few families were gathered to celebrate Aarohi and Neil’s second wedding anniversary and also the party where they revealed the news about the baby arrival.

“Oh, I got a phone call and stepped away. You should  go back, Ma. I will join you in a bit.”

His mother looked at him and cupped her hand on his cheek. “Are you okay?”

He nodded but did not respond.

She gestured to the patio chairs that were on the balcony. “Come sit. Your father and sister are covering the party for us.”

He sat on the chair across from her. “I can’t wait for the baby to arrive.”

“Yes, just a few more months.”

His mother looked at him for a long moment. “Your father tells me you have decided to stay back in India. What changed?”

He nodded. “I am considering staying back, especially with the merger. We will need to expand a bit more in India, and we can with the new acquisition.”

His mother smiled. “That’s wonderful. What changed, sweetheart, because I know you make plans and stick to them? That’s why I asked your father not to put too much pressure on you about moving back.”

“Well, I was going to be in Singapore for a few more years and then take responsibility, but with this merger, I will need to be here. Dad will not really be able to retire if I am in Singapore, and I want to be around to see Aarohi become a mom.” He chuckled.

“I can’t wait for the baby either, and Daddy and I could  use some time off to be with Aarohi.”

His mother laughed and added, “I am thrilled you will be here, especially with the baby  on the way. We want to surround the little one with all the love we can give.”

He nodded but fell silent, and his mother knew something was definitely off.

“Abhimanyu, something is bothering you, and you need to talk to someone. Either you talk to me, or I will have Aarohi  talk to you.”

Abhimanyu chuckled. “Is that a threat, Ma?”

“Maybe,” she said, laughing.

Abhimanyu thought for a moment and decided not to say anything to his mother. “Nothing to worry about, Ma. Let’s go.”

“I’m not ready to go. I know something is up. Your  heart is elsewhere.”

 Abhimanyu chuckled. “How are you not a psychic?”

His mother laughed. “I can’t be a psychic because I know something is going on in your head, but I don’t know what it is.”

“Ma, I like someone… at work, and it’s complicated.”

  “Like someone as in as someone you enjoy working with?”

  Abhimanyu shook his head at the mockery in his mother’s voice. “Ma, you know what I mean.”

“I don’t, sweetheart, because you barely tell us anything.” His mother wasn’t going to let him off easy.

“Okay. Her name is Akshara, and she works for The  Saxena Group, and with the merger contract in place, I can’t really tell her who I am, and it’s just killing me.”

“Does she like you?”

He chuckled. “I think so.”

“Have you been lying to her?” His mother’s voice was soft yet stern.

ABHIRA : HER UNDERCOVER BOSSOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara