CH-24 A-YES

“You look so excited, Papa,” Akshara said as she helped him put on his shirt to attend an official meeting of the Birla Corporation. Mr. Pranav and her father were thrilled to be working together again in their new role the company had offered to them. Since her father had limited mobility, the men decided to work from home and meet once a week. That evening, it was a meeting with Mr. Pranav and another executive from the company.

“I’m happy to see you smiling.”

Akshara nodded and widened her smile as a way to cover up the pain she knew she would live with forever.

“I’m  excited for you.”

“Pranav called a short while ago to let me know he is on his way here. He should be here any moment.” Her father adjusted the collar of his shirt.

She looked him in the mirror.

 “You are such a handsome man, Papa. No wonder you swept Mom off her feet.”

“He snuck into my heart with his goofy smile,” her mother interjected from the entrance of the room, making Akshara and him smile.

 “Your dad’s best friend is here.”

“Showtime, Papa.” Akshara laughed, pushing her father’s wheelchair out of the bedroom toward his recently set up office space.

“Good evening, sir.” She smiled at Mr. Pranav, her former employer.

“Akshara, so good to see you.” Mr. Pranav took a seat next to her father.

“Thank you, sir. Likewise.”

“Stop calling me, sir. I miss being called Pranav uncle by you.” Mr. Pranav laughed, looking at her father.

She let out a soft laugh. “It’ll take me some time.”

“Is your arm all healed, Akshara?” Mr. Pranav asked.

She nodded. “I have a couple of physiotherapy sessions, and everything should be back to normal.”

“Good. We need you back in the office, and I have asked Harsh that we move you to the team supporting the A-Y-ES program from the HR Department,” Mr. Pranav said and added, looking at her father.

 “Harsh reminds me of how you and I were when we were younger. The boy is very different from the ones who grow up with a successful father. And I saw a big change in him in the last few months.”

“How so, Pranav?” her father asked, and Akshara held her breath, figuring out a way to exit the room as the older friends spoke about Abhimanyu.

“When I met him for the first time, I was impressed with how good he was at making decisions, and when I told him he had to keep his identity a secret, he did. It’s amazing how he did that.”

“Excuse me,” she whispered and was about to exit when her dad gestured her to join the conversation. She sat in one of the chairs, feeling like she was on pins and needles.

Her father nodded in agreement.

“Very true. Do you remember how many of our potential hires were not brought on board because they could not work as a factory worker?”

“Yes, it takes a great amount of humility to be able to work as an employee when you know you have the authority over everyone. I’m so happy that boy offered to merge our company with theirs.” Mr. Pranav let out a victorious smile.

“And he has been meeting with me for the past few weeks, and it looks like they have expanded all our employee wellness policies across their company as well. The higher hourly rate, the profit-sharing, and the best part was the youth program that was launched.” Her father sounded so proud, and that made her breath trap in her throat.