𝐀𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐓𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

Laurie Laurence x Reader

Summary: Reader is upset about life's rather quick changes, Laurie is there to comfort but also it turns into him proposing.

Warnings: Describes experiencing some anxiety about feeling left behind

Author: laurieteddy on Tumblr!

Word Count: 3550

——————————————————

"I'll only be a moment," you called out to Marmee as you quickly made your way up to the attic.

You had "misplaced" your book and were on a wild search for it. Really, you left it in the attic earlier that day and planned on using it as an excuse to be alone for just a minute longer. No one would've minded had you wanted to be alone for a bit but you couldn't help but feel judged for it.

You didn't want to make anyone worry about why you wanted so much time alone. There was so much going through your mind lately and you just needed time to think it through, Marmee could tell and so she didn't press you to talk about it. Your two older sisters, Meg and Jo, also knew you needed time and kept Amy from pressing further, Beth was no trouble.

The book was sat on the old three legged couch, right in plain sight. You picked it up, taking a seat on the couch and looking out the window taking in the evening sun. The attic was a safe and quiet place for your mind to wander.

Life was picking up, or at least the people around you live's were. Meg was soon to marry, Jo wanted nothing more than to escape to the city, Amy was soon to leave with Aunt March for Europe. Beth was still young, unsure of where exactly she was heading which was completely fine being so young. Even Laurie was leaving for college soon.

You hadn't a clue what you'd be doing. Life away from the March home didn't even seem to exist as a possibility. You'd be separated from Marmee, from your sisters, from Hannah and Laurie. Nothing would be quite the same.

But, everyone was growing up. And it was near time for you to be as well, Jo only being a year older than you. Tears seemed to prickle your eyes every time you thought of the occasion of your childhood ending and adult lives beginning.

"Y/n's right up the stairs, looking for her book." You heard Marmee's voice.

You assumed it was Jo she was talking to, as she had left to go to the butcher earlier. You quickly wiped the tears that were forming from your concealed thoughts and stood from the couch. Tucking loose hair behind your ear, you made your way towards the stairs.

"I found it, no need to help Jo."

"It's me, actually." The voice was a bit startling, definitely not Jo's or anyone that lived in your house.

You froze, waiting to see who would come up. Dark curls peaked from the stairs, allowing your shoulders to relax and you found it was Laurie. He had a smile on his face and parcel in his hand.

"Sorry to disappoint," he joked at your lack of enthusiasm to see him.

"No, no. Sorry," you smiled, "I just wasn't expecting you."