𝐑𝐢𝐛𝐬

Laurie Laurence x Reader

This imagine is inspired by ribs by lorde

Warnings: None

Author: grownup-thatbeautiful on Tumblr!

Word Count:1376

——————————————————

Growing up, you always had Laurie by your side. From playing in the flower fields by his house to hiding underneath the piano when anyone came over.

As you got older, he found the March girls and you both gained new family, beyond Laurie. Not that he was your family. Not really.

Mr. Laurence took you in when you were four. You hadn't had anywhere else to go, living alone in France. You were a granddaughter of one of his old friends, and he had reached out when he realized you had no one.

And then you had met Laurie. He was young too, a boy with charming red cheeks and unruly hair. He had hidden behind his grandfather's jacket and refused to speak to you. You, of course, hadn't been much better. But after some days existing silently in the same house, the childlike curiosity got the better of the both of you.

It's not like you really remember life before Laurie. He's been there for your best and your worst. He was there when you got your heart broken, calling the boy insults all night and inexpertly holding you close. He was there again when you found out that someone was actually interested in hearing your stories and poems. He had lifted you up into the air and told you he knew someone would all along.

You had been there for him. When Jo turned down his proposal, something you had predicted, knowing Jo felt him only as a friend. You had held his hand and told him to keep the ring she gave him. You were there when he got permission to go to Europe to travel and party, knowing that you couldn't go with him. It would be improper.

So you two had gone your separate ways. You stayed home, living among the Marches', helping Meg, writing with Jo, and missing Laurie.

He had been in Europe, living the life he thought he wanted, away from you. He hadn't realized how hard it would be to leave you behind. But then he found Amy, and he had a friend to get him through it again.

And then Beth. You had to find a way to deal with the loss on your own. Laurie was hundreds of miles away, and he couldn't hold you this time. You were surrounded by family, but the one person you needed wasn't there.

But you got through it. He got through it too, just separately. Amy found a young man interested in sponsoring her art, and most of you believed she would end up marrying him. She deserves someone who would adore her endlessly, and based on her letters he is that person.

You're happy for her. Just like you were happy for Meg and Jo. But it got harder, being the unmarried and lonely one. It's pitiful, and you always swore you wouldn't be that person.

It's not like you would even accept anyones proposal. The idea of living a separate life away from your home is as terrifying at best and unthinkable at worst.