𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝

Laurie Laurence x Reader

Summary: Seeing Laurie for the first time since you told him you loved him.

Warnings: None

Author: grownup-thebeautiful on Tumblr!

Word Count:1658

——————————————————

You see him before he sees you. It's in the most unlikely of places, but knowing the two of you it seems about right. An old bookstore on the corner of the street you used to meet up in. It's your first time back here in a long time. You decided not to come here until you were either with him again or over him. You're neither one, but you couldn't force yourself to stay away any longer.

You haven't seen him since. Well, since you embarrassingly and drunkenly confessed your feelings to him. In your usual fashion, it had been messy and loud. Fortunately, everyone else at the party had been concerned with their own affairs to notice your frantic exit.

You've been staring. Luckily, you know Laurie is completely oblivious, preferring the company of the poetry he's looking through.

You look back to the shelf in front of you, shaking hands clutching your skirts.

Then there's a hand on your back and Laurie's saying your name. You can't breathe. Coming back to yourself, you turn around to face him. His hand leaves your back, but you still feel it, a phantom touch burning your skin.

"Laurie. I was hoping I wouldn't see you." Well. There goes any chance of keeping him around. You hadn't meant to say it like that.

A hurt look crosses his face. "Am I that unpleasant?"

"No! No, of course not. You know that. I was just wishing for more time." An iffy recovery, but you'll take it.

"To rid yourself of my name and likeness, I'm sure."

You give an awkward laugh and reply, "No, on the contrary. I was hoping to find a way to compose myself for any future meetings."

"Goodness, how come?"

"You don't remember my appallingly free spoken speech about love and other vices."

"It's been in my mind almost every day since." He falters slightly, his eyes dashing to a bookcase behind you before coming back to meet yours. How are his eyes beautiful? How did you never notice them before? "I've missed your company at nights. Nothing seems quite as entertaining without your quick commentary."

"Ah. The dashing wit. There it is. Glad I didn't scare it off," you smile.

"You could never. Have you gotten yourself into any trouble recently?"

"Oh, you know me. All full of trouble."

"I know you to be quite a bit of trouble."

"That's just when you're around."

"Hm. Well, what trouble are you getting into tonight?"